• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To anyone who has ever been in the military

diaglo

Adventurer
air force brat, here. i lived outside of Annapolis for 13+ years. most of my family still does. my dad retired from Fort Meade.

one of my sisters used to love going down to the mall in Annapolis to check out the cadets.

EN is right. the Naval Academy is very similar to West Point in its training of plebes. it will make or break your will to remain in the military.

Dr. Talos

First Post
You will spend a lot of time having many of your personality traits (even some that you like about yourself) broken down and "beaten" out of you so that you conform.

Sounds, like you had a fun time Eric :D

It's a game. You have to suppress your differences so that you can work to gether as an effective team. You can be an individual, you just have to play by the rules and learn when you can be an individual (half the fun is learning what you can get away with, just don't get caught). Its just hard to see that when your are being "broken" ;) Their goal is not to break you, but for you to find out what your are made of, what your limits are, and who you really are so that you can be a more effective leader.

It will be one of the hardest things you have done in your life, keep a positive mindset and you can make it through anything they dish out at you.

Having been through 4 years of a 4 class system (freshmen are crud, sophomores are the trainers, juniors are the doers, and seniors are the leaders) it is nothing like the real military. By the 3rd year it is a really great time. When you get in the military it will be completely different. Though the military has its own seperate frustrations.

Last edited:

redwing00

First Post
thanks for the support!

I really think I will make it because I'm a pretty determined guy.

I really just hope I get accepted (I was late turning in the application becuase I did not consider the military as an option until early this year after being phoned by a recruiter). In fact, If there are any high ranking officials on these boards that could pull some strings...... :)

How different is the real military life you mentioned? Is it tougher? I thought after graduating from the school you are more of a "technical" person and actually just perform a job (go in at 9 get out at 5....depending on job). At least thats what I was informed. I was told by someone that he had a degree in engineering from the academy, and worked on planes and helicopters the entire day.

masque

First Post
redwing00 said:
thanks for the support!

I really think I will make it because I'm a pretty determined guy.

I really just hope I get accepted (I was late turning in the application becuase I did not consider the military as an option until early this year after being phoned by a recruiter). In fact, If there are any high ranking officials on these boards that could pull some strings...... :)

How different is the real military life you mentioned? Is it tougher? I thought after graduating from the school you are more of a "technical" person and actually just perform a job (go in at 9 get out at 5....depending on job). At least thats what I was informed. I was told by someone that he had a degree in engineering from the academy, and worked on planes and helicopters the entire day.

I suppose it would depend on what you wanted to get into. My mother went into telecom, and as long as she got her work done, she could take off all the time she needed. This was good, since she was helping my Girl Scout Troop and she liked to take trips to places, especially war memorials. When she went from there to family service then into base admin, she had a lot less time on her hands. My father, on the other hand, was in a submarine, so it wasn't 9 to 5, it was month after month rather than hour after hour. He tells me all these stories about the North Pole, it's great.

In my vastly limited experience, it depends what you're going into. (Wow, that wasn't helpful)

dpdx

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Former West Point Cadet here (note I didn't say West Point graduate!). The switch from civilian life to military life, for me, was an enormous and unexpected culture shock. I was so lured by the promise of a "free" high-quality education that I really didn't take into consideration a lot of other factors that, in hindsight, should have been obvious...
Substitute the word 'wrestler' for 'gymnast' in Eric's post above, and you have my own experience at West Point circa 1984-6. I didn't graduate, either, and there also wasn't much about USMA that I found to my liking. So I'll verify Eric's experience for you, and add:

It's not for everyone. You might regret it, and if you're like me, and you do come to regret it, it's a lifetime regret. I had a legacy ride to Cornell if I wanted it (from Grandpa), acceptances at Princeton and UNC-Chapel Hill, and University of Oregon as my safety school before my parents and I (yes, I blame them, too) fell in love with the idea of a free education. So make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. That being said, go to Navy before you go to Army. Navy has a better football team, and that matters a WHOLE lot, especially your plebe year.

Ahem - but this was about gaming opportunities. I was in school back when 2e was coming out, and I barely knew about that in high school. Once we made it through plebe year (and oh, yeah: FORGET about ANY semblance of an ongoing campaign during plebe year, you'll barely have time for one-offs), my buddies and I were playing Junta and Axis and Allies most of the time.

Good luck, whatever you do. But you don't HAVE to do it. And even if you decide later you need out, you're no less of a person. It took me a long time to realize that when I was your age.

redwing00 said:
I really just hope I get accepted (I was late turning in the application becuase I did not consider the military as an option until early this year after being phoned by a recruiter).

I would think you would know by now, but then I haven't dealt with cadets in a while, so I forget what the timeline is. At any rate, if you don't get accepted, you can reapply the next year, or you may qualify for the prep school. If you get in, I'd encourage you to give it a try if you even think you might be interested -- it's a fantastic education.

I'd also strongly encourage you to check out ROTC if the academy falls through. It's too late for a four-year scholarship, but you could get a three year scholarship, which is still a fantastic deal.

Active duty and cadet/midshipman/trainee life are really very different -- life gets much easier, though less predictable, once you're on active duty. The stress is different -- initial entry training is mostly externally imposed stresses to get you to learn and conform, and tends to be heavy on physical stress. Active duty has many more internal stressors if you're a self-motivated Type-A personality (which most folks tend to exhibit after graduating from a commissioning program) -- pressure to perform, responsibility for your people, that sort of thing -- typically more mental than physical. There's no real set answer to your question, though -- it all depends on your branch of service, specialty, the location of your duty assignment. You could have a 9-to-5, 5-day a week office job, or be deployed working shifts 24/7 aboard ship or in the field someplace.

My background: 10+ years active duty (Army -- I'll pin on Major in about three months). I came from a Navy family, but turned down both West Point and Annapolis in favor of an ROTC scholarship -- my fear was that after four years of continuous military academy life, I wouldn't be up for the five-year commitment, and ROTC gave me a bit more flexibility. I lived like a normal college student most of the time. I sacrificed the tighter camraderie and connections that academy graduates have, but it's not the sort of thing that makes a difference once you've been on active duty for a while. Everyone wears the same bars (heck, academy grads don't get automatic regular commissions any more). I've spent most of my career thus far in armored units -- lots of field time -- and did a couple of years in recruiting, though now after getting my graduate degree paid for I'm going into weapons system development, which is much more of a "business-like" atmosphere.

Edit: As to gaming, I'd forget it your first year; after that it's remotely possible, but the daily schedule is still pretty strict. Many more opportunities open up on active duty, but then there's that fraternization issue (which has kept me from active gaming in many places).

EN -- what class were you? I may know some of your classmates.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
I would have been class of 2000 if I'd have stayed (lucky me, that would have put me right in line for the Gulf War). I was only there for "beast" -- I knew about 3 hours into it that I'd made a dreadful mistake but stuck it out the next 6 weeks. :) It wasn't the physical stuff btw -- heck, PT and all of that were the least of my worries -- and it wasn't that I got in trouble (never did, even when my roommate was constantly getting nailed for this or that), it was the culture shock, the stress, and a helping of homesickness.

And dpdx -- I know what you're saying about regret -- I don't reget leaving though it took me a while to get over the feeling that I'd failed. And in fact going and then dropping out made certain things harder (had to really scramble to get into a university on a scholarship).

2000? That's a bit younger generation than me ... I had a platoon leader named Matt Frosch who was 2000 (the rest were either YG99 ot ROTC officers), but beast is a big & busy place; not that likely that you knew him.

MaxKaladin

First Post
redwing00 said:
I am a senior in high school, and I will be graduating soon. I am ranked very high in my class (as of now number 1) and (in my opinion) somewhat athletic (i run and lift weights everyday).

I have decided to take a big step in my life and enter the Annapolis Naval Academy. All the paperwork has been filled out and sent away. I understand the military and the academy itself is not easy. I'm just curious if anyone on these message boards has had any experience with Annapolis. I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about your years there or in the service. Oh....and did you have time to get some D&D in? (looking over the schedule for the 1st year, it seems every hour from 5 am to 11 pm Mon-Sat is filled for the schooling/military training......)
I'm not a military person and have not been to Anapolis. I DID go to Texas A&M like Dr. Talos, but was not in the corps. Gaming on the same campus as a civilian, I noticed that the freshman cadets had no time go game, but as they advanced towards their senior year they gained more time. The cadets we gamed with were mostly juniors and seniors and there weren't that many of them. I don't know how much help that is, but there you have it.

Remove ads