• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To be frank, this game sounds like it sucks

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
I recently saw that they were coming out with some new skins for the game though so that you can play it as civil war or sci-fi in addition to its original fantasy setting.

Salutations,

So now they are copying the D20's open gaming idea?

*sigh*

That is pretty sad, but I guess imitation is a form of flattery.

I just hope some other company can help fix the front-loaded knights with an alternate rule set for that piece.

FD

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Furn_Darkside said:

I just hope some other company can help fix the front-loaded knights with an alternate rule set for that piece.

FD

Unfortunately they will likely post an errata on thier web site and expect us to go out and look for it.

Or if you would rather you can spend $20 for a weak set of rule expansions so that you can have the official errata in hard copy.

Rogue

First Post
Ahh, the classic hack 'n slash!

I'm telling ya, strategy is good and all.. but sometimes ya just gotta hack n slash. Take good ol' Diablo for instance. Surely, not the best of games, (though I prefer it vastly over the sequel) yet I still find myself playin' it even now. Even better when I mod it with good ol' Middle Earth. Then the challenge issue comes back. :) Hey, if anyone still wants to run a few dungeon crawls with me, get back to me. Cheater's blow, however, so dun bother.

My vote fer strat game will have to go to Sega Genesis' "Shining Force" series. That was great fun.

Last edited:

thundershot

Adventurer
Chess d20

I've been playtesting a d20 conversion of Chess, and I must say... it works well! That Knight wasn't so tough when my 4th Level Pawn (with the Combat Reflexes feat) scored a critical hit on an Attack of Opportunity against that Knight! <grin> We'll see if he tries THAT move again!

Chris

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
There are some serious play balance issues.

The person playing the "White" side always go first. As this is a strict IGoYouGo initiative system, this makes White strictly superior.

I have played a number of enjoyable wargames where the sides are purposefully unbalanced. But those usually involve force pool that have their own distinctive flavor. Having an imbalance in the sides while exactly mirroring the units is a strange design decision.

Maybe it will appeal to those who love diceless games. Or as an intro to tactical games for young children.

I think if you adopted some simultaneous movement rules this game could work. The board is simple enough that you could write a number of moves, say, 3 on a piece of paper and reveal at the same time. Maybe add command points like Chainmail?

Re: Ahh, the classic hack 'n slash!

There are mods for Diablo?

Rogue said:
I'm telling ya, strategy is good and all.. but sometimes ya just gotta hack n slash. Take good ol' Diablo for instance. Surely, not the best of games, (though I prefer it vastly over the sequel) yet I still find myself playin' it even now. Even better when I mod it with good ol' Middle Earth. Then the challenge issue comes back. :) Hey, if anyone still wants to run a few dungeon crawls with me, get back to me. Cheater's blow, however, so dun bother.

My vote fer strat game will have to go to Sega Genesis' "Shining Force" series. That was great fun.

G.A. Donis

First Post
Attack of Opportunity

Does this "knight" receive any attacks of opportunity in his "1up2over or 2up1over" leap? Is a diagonal move 5', 7.5' or what? Sounds like this game was hastily put together with no regard for the realities of combat simulation! :)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Wulf Ratbane said:
I was playing some head-to-head chess the other day and discovered an AWESOME cheat!

If you get your Pawn into your enemy's deployment zone it automatically morphs into whatever piece you want!

TWO QUEENS BABY! ROCK ON!

Wulf

D00D! Anyone with old skool skillz knows that lame cheet already. Only el33t plaerz know en passant, though. :)

G.A. Donis

First Post
Personally, I'd rule0 the whole "castling" thing that some players will obviously want to do. It's too confusing and just seems to drag out the combat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads