• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To be frank, this game sounds like it sucks

Sonny

Adventurer
Brown Jenkin said:
I recently saw that they were coming out with some new skins for the game though so that you can play it as civil war or sci-fi in addition to its original fantasy setting.

Due to the high powered nature of the Chess system I don't think the Civil War would be a proper setting for it. Maybe the sci-fi setting will work, but not a Historical based setting.

Henry@home

First Post
G.A. Donis said:
Personally, I'd rule0 the whole "castling" thing that some players will obviously want to do. It's too confusing and just seems to drag out the combat.

Do as you wish for your home games, of course, but my group and I have been using the castling rules for some time now and we have found them neither confusing nor overpowering.

If it seems to drag things out for you, I suggest practicing it more. my group found that the more they practiced it, it got even easier. How difficult is "one space on the left, two on the right," anyway?

Damror

First Post
This Chess game is clearly for munchkins only. It has no story quality to it at all. When I used to play it (YEARS ago), there was always some sort of tawdry or shady sub-plot running through the game.
The queen might have an affair with the bishop. The king might be impotent and take his aggressions out on his pawns. The rooks might become insubordinate and revolt, finally switiching sides.

But that was all stuff I had to add myself. The game itself was very thin on story elements.

I also disagreed with the idea that white should always go first. What sort of racist symbolism is that?? In my chess games, we roll initiative each round. That makes combat a lot more realistic.

Last edited:

Rogue

First Post
Re: Re: Ahh, the classic hack 'n slash!

DocMoriartty said:
There are mods for Diablo?

Hell yeah there were mods for Diablo. Unfortunately, I know of only two... but! Them two are top notch in quality, so it's all good. The first one was a name I forgot, unfortunately. But it was good, I assure you. The one that requires attention, however, is the one modded for Middle Earth. This was not done by two fools who knew not what they were doing. They're work is worth noting (obviously) and is true to Tolkien's masterpiece, as best they can anyway. If you'd like to give it a try, my handle for AIM is Luthien2000, Yahoo is Rogue29133, and MSN is my email. If I can get the website's URL, I'll post it up here. I'm still digging for it...

Rogue

Akunin

First Post
I was thinking of picking up a copy of this game, since I found a real cheap copy on eBay. But I have a question:

I've seen a lot of books released for it by third-party publishers. They seem to be filled with quite a lot of strategies and tactics for the game, but I want to know if any of them are worth the money, and which ones introduce things that might unbalance or "break" the game.

ninjajester

First Post
you guys do realize chess is simply a fluffed up version of rock paper scissors, don't you? i mean, what kind of perversion of the original game are you playing? game pieces and a board? what's wrong with your own hands?

Doomsdaisy

First Post
There's quite a few out of print versions of the game that used different pieces and had some minor rules variations. I think one of them was strictly Chinese and another was put out in the middle east a few hundred years back, but I can't quite remember. You might be able to find one of these alternate versions on E-Bay or one of those game stores that deals a lot with used and hard to find merchandise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads