• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To be frank, this game sounds like it sucks

Steve Jung

Explorer
Doesn't Monte Cook have an alternate version of the bishop on his web site? I'm just waiting for the class books to get some prestige class.

Steve

Rogue

First Post
The V&K Middle Earth Mod

For those of you who care not, I apologize for stealing the thread for one or two meager posts.

Here is where you can find the link to the Diablo I mod, and here is the link to the DII mod. I haven't played the new one, though I've heard it's good if you can deal with cheaters. *shrugs* It'd be tight if I could bring some players back to Classic Diablo and DiabloME.

Rogue

Henry@home

First Post
Re: The V&K Middle Earth Mod

Rogue said:
For those of you who care not, I apologize for stealing the thread for one or two meager posts.

Fear not! I must say this is one of Piratecat's better "Untrolls" (To borrow a term from 7-up).

psychognome

First Post
Someguy said:
What are you talking about... Pawns are BROKEN!

They get to move up to two squares on thier first move!

DUH! I mean, how stupid is that? Well, I just hope that they'll put out an update for the game that'll fix those kinds of bugs... they should also fix the bug with the rook and the king. Did you know that if you move your king into just the right square, the game bugs and ZHAZAM the king and the rook have miraculously switched places?! I mean, couldn't they at least have playtested this damn piece-of-something before putting it out to the market? Now the fans'll just have to wait for all the damn bug fixes and "Chess, version 1.000002"'s! How frustrating is that?!

BTW, this is just the funniest thing I've ever seen! I love ENWorld! :D

Imperialus

Explorer
I remember hearing a rumor about some people who were trying to spice up the game by adding a house rule where they timed it. Can anyone conferm or deny this?

Dispater

Explorer
And what's all this crap about the queen being the best unit? I mean, the king should be best, no doubt! And he ONLY moves one square!!? And if the enemy kill that sucker, you LOOSE?? He's just a litle better than a stupid pawn. I mean, how would he be king if he's a complete wuss?? The queen would totally trash him. Man, I hate that lame game.

nsruf

First Post
Ok, some of you have already noticed that White always goes first and that this poses a serious imbalance. But am I really the first to notice how far this goes? I've done the analysis and it is true that, properly played, White always wins after at most 1.248.073 moves. How broken is that? Inviting munchkinism and powergaming of the worst kind! I mean, it is bad enough that the designers never fixed the "bucket full of pawns" trick:(

Yeah, I agree it's pretty lame. But you should really check out the Oriental Adventures "Xiangqi" campaign setting. It seems pretty clear that the developers had a lot of really cool ideas that they just didn't dare implement in the standard fantasy version because it might have alienated purist, older gamers. Not so in the Oriental Adventures module. For instance the introduction of terrain(!), and much more leet pieces, like cannons (sweet!). Plus, it fixes obvious errors in the fantasy edition that the developers were like "uh uh, that is, like, not a mistake, that, uh, was meant to be, yeah", like that stupid pawn capture mode and the teleporting knight. As if they just didn't forgot about it and won't post an errata!

The It's Man

Explorer
For those that have objections to the apparant gender based discrimination of the King; I suggest to look into the old Arab version (the Queen moves only 1)
Also no "draws" at stalemate. You win when the DM can't make a move.

Anyway, I once played in a a campaign where the DM moved g2-g4 after we started with f2-f3 e7-e5 (much worse than fudging with a rolling a die behind the DM-screen IMHO) so I could easily gain a level. Never have I set foot in his campaign again !!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads