• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To be Swallowed by a Monstro

edwee

First Post
One of the future dungeons in my campaign will feature the party being swallowed by a huge monster, similar to monstrous the whale. This monster is supposed to be the guardian of a gods tomb, but right now that's irrelevant, I want to know what the party could encounter in the belly of this beast as I'm not the most creative
person in the world, and I would like a little bit of help coming up with ideas. So what would you throw the party at?

herrozerro

First Post
Well obviously crazed previous meals. Whether other heroes of legend of villain's of infamy. Pan evil necromancer that brings forthe creations from the creature's meals.

Razjah

Explorer
Have you played Gears of War 2? The giant worm that swallows cities has, well, cities inside it. Partially digested sections of the cities. Along with giant digestive teeth and other hazards for the gears to avoid.

Something you could do it add some kind of culture that manages to thrive in the monster. It could be similar to the film Pandorum where monsters are in the ship somehow and the crew needs to get the ship's power system fully operating. People hide and run form the monsters, very few are skilled and brave enough to fight them. Spoiler for Pandorum below:
[sblock]The monsters are mutated people who evolved to thrive in the ship, the ship was a colony ship where the people were given something to help them evolve faster to the new conditions of the world they were going to[/sblock]

edwee

First Post
Thank you for the suggestions. My first instinct would have been to throw the party at previous meals, but the monster itself has been sleeping for a century and a half, so originally I had planned on not doing that, however the pandorum suggestion got me thinking about the yellow musk creepers (might be the wrong name) from I think the fiend folio. And I've never played gears of war 2 played 1 and 3, only beacuse they were given to me, so I may have to look up some let's plays to get an idea of it, unless you would be so kind as to give me an example?

Razjah

Explorer
Here is a walkthrough of the worm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyF3mr8pAU

The worm has a bunch of obstacles to get through like giant digestive teeth, a huge rolling ball of earth and cities as it swallows, an area with toxic gases, and lots of places with some kind of crawling parasite things. The gears end up finding the worms hearts and cutting all the arteries to the hearts. The worm burst out of the ground as it dies and the gears barely manage to cut their way out before drowning. Their reactions to the worm after getting out are pretty entertaining.

I think going the Pandorum route would be your best bet. You can use parts of the worm idea for hazardous zones (like a section with an ocean of acid that few methods of crossing) to add to the creatures that have made a life in the monster and the creatures that have evolved to thrive in the monster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads