• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Deck the Halls or not

EricNoah

Adventurer
If it torments you, I would say don't decorate. Do something more "spring-like" -- maybe tackle some spring cleaning, get out for walks/hikes if the weather permits, etc. Don't "should" yourself over this, it's not worth it.

reveal

Adventurer
You could also donate your time to your local soup kitchen/church. There are many people who will have nothing this Christmas. You could focus your energies on helping those people. :)

devilbat

First Post
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but here's what I'd do:

I'd invite a bunch of my friends over for holiday drinks/meal/whatever. That way, I'd be forced to decorate a little, but I would be thinking about my guests coming while doing so, rather then lamenting that my daughter won't be there to see the decorations.

When your friends ask how you're doing, and they likely will, considering your family situation, tell them the truth without making a huge deal. "It's tough not having my daughter around, but I'm hoping to surround myself with friends to get me through the holidays". This way you don't sound pathetic, and your friends will empathize with your situation. This could garner some great invitations to events that will further keep your mind off the pain that you're feeling.

I've been there, it sucks.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I'd leave the tree in the closet. I'd still decorate, just go out and get some new strings of lights, maybe a table sized live tree. Hold on to the general tradition but wait till next year to face the direct assosiations.

Sniktch

First Post
Better yet, pick some of the stuff with the strongest associations, and set it on fire. Burning = catharthis.

What? I always feel better after I set some old stuff on fire.

spatha

First Post
PowerWordDumb said:
Nothing says "It's Christmas!" to me like a nice fancy pen.
I know I've had one on my list for years. Well except this year. This year I went with a Star Wars theme. Of course this will be the year I get the pen :(

Sniktch

First Post
EDIT - personal sniping against other posters aren't allowed, veiled or not. Prior thread's closed, Cut it out, and don't bring it elsewhere, ladies and gents. -Henry

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads