To Find a King (updated 06/26)

Funeris

First Post
Actually, I wasn't a part of the campaign he became well-known on the boards for. I'm a part of the second, lesser known campaign. The link is in my sig. above. If you want to know what character I was, you could always go and read the Heroes of Marchford. Heh, couldn't help but bump something I write. :D

And I'll admit, if you get around to reading Destan's 2nd SH, my writing isn't on par with you. But I'm trying and hopefully one day it will be.

Mortepierre

First Post
Funeris said:
Actually, I wasn't a part of the campaign he became well-known on the boards for. I'm a part of the second, lesser known campaign. The link is in my sig. above. If you want to know what character I was, you could always go and read the Heroes of Marchford. Heh, couldn't help but bump something I write. :D

I know, I read it regularly :)

I have just been a silent lurker till now :cool:

Funeris said:
And I'll admit, if you get around to reading Destan's 2nd SH, my writing isn't on par with you. But I'm trying and hopefully one day it will be.

Eh, my own goal is to be - one far away day - half as good as Destan, so that's quite a compliment. Given 'practice makes perfect' and the number of posts you have already made in your own SH, I think it's safe to say you're halfway there already ;)

Mortepierre

First Post
Nephtys said:
More please. :)

Your wish is my command. Just don't get used to it.. :p

2.2 A Difficult Decision:

When the companions emerged from the Vault after opening the treasure room, most of them were injured and all of them were exhausted. Still, their first order of business had been to let Mayor Varnsen see the corpse of the strange ‘bride’ and ask for his help in identifying it.

The man had been too young at the time of Baroness Amelia’s disappearance to be able to remember her features but his friend Aniel - being an elf - still could. After examining the body for some time, he affirmed it wasn’t the Baron’s wife. Indeed, the woman - whoever (or whatever) she had been - rather reminded him of some unsavory creatures which had long plagued elves and humans alike in the region: the Shatraugs (3).

That disturbing news was counterbalanced by the fact that - in all probability - the adventurers had not only solved but also put an end to both the disappearances and the disease which had plagued the locals for the last 40 years. Thus, the mayor hailed them as heroes and tried - not too subtly - to convince them to stay. After all, if Weston was to recover fully, it would need invest.. er.. protectors.

The companions politely yet firmly declined. Kalveig and Siubhan were bound to return to their monastery. Pelrind wished to travel abroad and had convinced Musadoc to accompany him, if only for a while. As for Eirak, no one knew what he intended to do but, from the way he grumbled, it didn’t seem likely he would settle down in the barony either.

They spent the next two days back into the Vault, exploring every room and passage (except for those obstructed by a cave-in) systematically - solving magical enigmas as needed - to gain access to the rest of the NeMoren’s wealth.

Once more, Musadoc surprised his friends (and himself!) by revealing he had an innate knack for appraising items of all kinds (4). So, they gave him the task of coming up with an estimate of the treasure’s value.

With the halfling occupied with his inventory, Siubhan spent her days caring for Pelrind and any villager in need of medical attention. Meanwhile, Kalveig - unwilling to risk seeing the boggers return - rounded up some men and, with their help (and Pelrind’s guidance), provoked the collapse of the humanoids’ access tunnel.

Eirak was seldom around. He was leaving Weston every day at dawn, returning only at dusk. If there was a purpose to his long walks, only he knew what it was. But the time spent outdoor was apparently beneficial to his mood as the latter improved steadily.

One week after they had first come out of the Vault, Musadoc summoned them to the manor for a meeting. The time had come to divide their ‘inheritance’...

They had assembled in the office where it had all started, except neither Varnsen nor Aniel were present this time. The massive desk was covered with a variety of items which had been neatly grouped by category.

While the others were all seated, Musadoc was standing on the Baron’s chair. It was too big for him to sit on and, by being upright, he felt he would have a better view of the proceedings anyway. His notes were on the desk in front of him for easy access in case he needed to refer to them.

“Friends, as you well know, we found a number of objects which Pelrind and the lady Siub-”

“Forgive me for interrupting, master Musadoc.” Siubhan raised her hand. “I think I speak for all of us when I say that - given our recent adventures - there is hardly a need to continue using titles among ourselves. May I suggest we simplify things by resorting to first-names solely?”

The halfling looked around and, given no one was voicing an objection, nodded and smiled before continuing. “As I was saying, thanks to Pelrind and the la.. er.. Siubhan’s help”, he grinned sheepishly, “we determined that certain items among those we recovered were - for lack of a better word - ‘magical’. Most of them were draughts of healing.. something I sure wish we had had back then!”

Most of the others wordlessly thumped their right fist on the desk to underscore their approval of his statement.

“Ahem, sorry.. there were also a few defensive draughts, and two scrolls which Siubhan deciphered. I’ll let her describe them in a moment. Finally, we have the orb of light, the silver ring from the Burrower’s lair, the statuette from the room with the stained glass, and the hammer Eirak.. ah.. found in Kragor’s tomb (5).”

Everyone’s attention was on the dwarf. Of all the artifacts the halfling had enumerated, the weapon was the only one Eirak had stubbornly refused to hand over to Musadoc, not even for a cursory examination. Even now, the warrior cradled it in his arms, as if daring anyone to challenge him for its ownership.

“Dunno what the fuss is ‘bout. It’s part o’ me share, nuff said.”

There was a moment of awkward silence during which the others expected Kalveig to react aggressively to the dwarf’s egoistical stance, but - to their surprise - he didn’t. Instead, the holy warrior calmly addressed Pelrind.

“In your opinion, is it a spellblade?” (6)

The elf blinked. “I can’t tell, really. Enchanted weapons aren’t my forte. It has been expertly crafted, that much is sure. And the metal it is made of is unknown to me but, though I am familiar with the Earth’s ‘bones’, I know next to nothing about alloys.” He shrugged. “It is magical, so chances are that it is a spellblade. Could it be more than that? Quite Possibly. The fact that it was named certainly suggests it is. I am afraid you’ll have to ask a loremaster if you want a confirmation.”

Kalveig nodded slowly. “Then, here is what I suggest. These four items bear the strongest dweomers, correct? Since there are four ‘heirs’, each of them should be entitled to keep one. If Eirak’s choice is the hammer, so be it. Unless I am mistaken, neither Pelrind nor Siubhan could use it, and it seems too large for Musadoc to wield properly, so...”

The others quickly nodded their assent, too happy to avoid another confrontation with the dour dwarf.

“I would like to claim the calisil as my share, if you don’t mind.” The elf stroked protectively the orb of light. “It was crafted by my people and I would see it returned to them.”

Again, nobody disagreed.

“That leaves only you and me, Siubhan. The ring or the statuette?”

The priestess smiled benevolently at the halfling. “Pick one and I’ll gladly take the other, my friend.”

“Well, I could say I simply like the sculpture but, in truth, Pelrind told me a few things about it that aroused my curiosity. In all fairness, I think you should hear them too before we decide.”

The elf picked up the figurine. “Observe its dull green color and slightly mottled appearance. That’s ‘serpentine’. It’s not exactly a gemstone. I would even say it’s rather common if you know where to look for it. Highly resistant to fire, it’s easy to work with and my own clan uses it extensively for works of art. Other colorations exist but the green one is prevalent. In fact, that’s what gave the stone its name as - apparently - someone thought it looked like a snake’s skin.” He shrugged, indicating he didn’t know if the story was true.

“Anyway, the figurine depicts an owl. An eagle owl to be precise. It’s standing straight, wings folded, and eyes open. The style is elvish, I am sure of it. Yet, it doesn’t have the ‘wild’ quality usually associated with my people’s work. It’s too serious-looking, and this leads me to believe that a Bshehe - you would say ‘city elf’ - was commissioned to craft it. There are a few of us that have chosen to live among humans in their cities, usually because there is a huge demand for our ‘brand’. After a few years, it’s not unusual for them to lose their link to the Ahlenh Gonh - the Source of Life. One can tell by the quality of their workmanship.” He frowned, clearly dreading to share such a fate.

“Now, take a look at the base of the statue. Notice the ring of tiny letters circling it? That’s elvish. They spell what I think are the command words to activate the figurine’s powers. Furthermore, there is the engraving of a sword under the sculpture. Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t that the symbol of one of your human gods?”

Kalveig nodded. “Aye, Maal, Lord of Justice and the Dead.. and Morwyn’s son I could add. Actually, if I am not mistaken, the owl is sacred to him. It’s his ‘divine pet’ or something like that. I have seen many paintings representing him with one standing on his shoulder, as if advising him.”

The elf grinned. “As I thought. If my guess is right, this figurine acts as a receptacle for the spirit of a giant owl, such as those that nest in the deepest parts of the domain of my forest-kin. I am reasonably familiar with the process because I know of similar items holding elemental spirits captive. Basically, its owner should be able to release said spirit under a corporeal form for a limited amount of time every day.. or week perhaps. Since there are two sets of command words, it is safe to assume there is a secondary power. And given the statuette’s aura displays the color of divination, I would surmise that it can also provide its owner with some kind of advice (7). Once you have decided who shall receive it, I’ll teach him - or her - the formula. Oh and, just so you all know, the ring bears an aura of abjuration. Thus, it is probably a protective item of some sort.”

“That owl sounds like a companion tailor-made for you, Musadoc. Since I already have one,” she glanced briefly at Kalveig who stiffened unconsciously, “you can have it. I would prefer the ring.”

“Thank you la.. Siubhan. Very generous of you!” The halfling pocketed the statuette, slightly impatient to try it out. “Now, for the monetary part. Please, keep in mind that it is difficult to give an exact figure given the kind of valuables involved. So, you’ll have to forgive me for staying vague. The good news is that what we found should amount to in-between 2000 and 2500 golden crowns (8) per heir, perhaps a bit more. I haven’t included in that total the two shields we set aside for Eirak and Kalveig in replacement of those they lost during the exploration of the Vault, nor the alchemical items we split between us.”

As he saw eyes popping out, he quickly added. “Wait! Wait! Before you get all wound up, you should hear the bad news. First, little of that sum is available in coins. Most of it consists of antiques - cumbersome ones, I might add - that will have to be transported to a sizeable town and traded. Second, as astounding as it may sound, I don’t believe this is all we were supposed to find. Think about it for a minute. The wealth of the NeMorens was legendary and yet, what did we recover? Mainly old weapons, outdated armors, tapestries, etc... But coins? No. Altogether less than a thousand, and most were commons or knights. My guess is that there is a room in the Vault which we haven’t discovered yet and which holds the ‘real’ hoard of the NeMoren family. Take a look at that sketch.”

He unfolded a large piece of paper on which he had drawn a map. “See that corridor blocked by a cave-in? The one that was going straight ahead on the other side of the secondary door? According to my calculations, it leads to the same area as the collapsed hallway that was just beyond the skeletons’ lair. The surrounding rooms and hallways delimit a square-shaped area, roughly fifty feet across. Ample space for one or more chambers...”

“Can ye gain access to it?” The mere possibility that they could be more gold down there had obviously caught Eirak’s attention.

Musadoc grimaced. “Yes, but not without the proper equipment and people trained for that kind of operation. There is no way of knowing just how far the cave-in goes, nor how unstable the walls and roof have become. For all we know, the entire room could have collapsed.. in which case it would take months to excavate. On the other hand, we did recover enough wealth to finance such a work, so...”

“But that would delay our departure for weeks, possibly months. We would have to go to the nearest town, sell the items recovered, use the money to hire miners, then come back and stay around the whole time since the entrance of the Vault requires the four keys to open” interjected Kalveig.

“True.. but if you would all trust me with your keys, I could supervise the whole procedure and then send for you when we ‘hit gold’ so to speak” answered the halfling.

This started a debate about who was willing to stay or, more to the point, who was unwilling to leave without his/her key. When the first angry comments were exchanged, Siubhan interrupted them.

“Please, my friends! Enough of this. There is something else we need to discuss first. As Musadoc mentioned, two magical scrolls were recovered. The first holds a spell that can free a body from whatever fell influence compels it to stay immobile. The second could very well answer many of the questions which have gone unanswered since our exploration of the Vault. Namely: what has happened to the baroness and the elf-ring of the NeMorens?”

Kalveig raised an eyebrow. “Is it a spell that will allow you to contact the White Lady or one of her servants?”

“I guess you could say that.. although that is not exactly who I had in mind...”

“Now you’ve got me confused, Sister. If not the Lady, then who?”

“Ahem.. the person we found in the Vault...”

Comments were suddenly heard from all sides as the others finally realized what she had in mind.

“She is talkin’ ‘bout foul necromancy, ain’t she? Durn! They just don’t make them priestesses like they used to...”

Kalveig shot a venomous glance at Eirak and then turned on Siubhan. “You can’t be serious! Do you have any idea of the dangers involved!?!” (9)

She reddened but sustained his gaze. “I do actually! First of all, the scroll describes not only the ritual but gives detailed instructions to minimize the chances of botching it. Second, you seem to forget that, while I walk the Path of the Healer, I also follow the Path of the Erudite. Casting this spell is allowed to those of my Order, though I will grant you they don’t make a habit of it.”

“But-”

“But nothing!” The others recoiled in surprise. It was the first time the young priestess had displayed such uncharacteristic anger. Siubhan bit her lips, clearly trying to calm down. When she spoke again, her voice was steady but steely. “I know what you are thinking: ‘she isn’t ready’. Well, I honestly think I am. Besides, more is at stake here than my personal safety or ‘how much gold we can dig up’. The NeMoren’s good name has been blemished due to our findings. A young woman is still missing and, without the elf-ring, the locals could be facing poverty in the near future. You have all taken terrible risks in the Vault while I stood by and did nothing. Now, it is my time and, though I would rather do this with all of you, I am fully prepared to go through it alone if needs be.”

Her companions looked at her and then at each other with a mixture of disbelief and embarrassment.

“Would it not be.. ah.. wiser to let the Holy Mother of our monastery do it? That would lessen the risks, no?” Kalveig’s voice was pleading.

“No. I considered the possibility but it has been almost a week since the ‘bride’ died. By the time we reached the monastery, the scroll would be powerless to reach her soul. Besides, the Holy Mother isn’t an Erudite, so she couldn’t cast the spell even if she wanted to. It has to be tonight or never.”

“I’ll come.” Surprisingly, it was Eirak who had just spoken. “I always pay me debts...” The gruff dwarf got up and left the room without another word.

“Can’t say I really look forward to this”, he sighed, “but we started this journey together and we’ll end it the same way.” Musadoc jumped down from the baron’s chair and went to gather his equipment.

“I will come as well.” Pelrind patted Siubhan’s shoulder before adding in a low voice “Just make sure you do this for the right reasons, my friend. Pride and self-pity usually don’t coexist too well...”

As the elf exited the office, holy warrior and priestess were left alone. During the silence that followed, they both realized something had changed between them. It was an event all Faithful Sons and Matriarchs experienced sooner or later when a priestess finally gathered the courage to assert her authority over her bodyguard (10). For Kalveig, it was the second time this had happened. He hadn’t expected it so soon, and it brought back bittersweet memories. As for Siubhan, she was at a loss about what to say. A part of her wanted to apologize, but another part insisted she had done nothing wrong.

Why do I feel so guilty over it, then? she thought.

Finally, Kalveig broke the silence. “By your leave, Matriarch.” He bowed and made for the door. The fact that he had used her formal title wasn’t lost on her. As he was about to walk off, he stopped in the doorway for a second. Without turning to face her, he added “For what it’s worth, I think you did a great job in the Vault.”

Siubhan continued to look at the spot where he had stood for a long time after he was gone. When the tears came, she didn’t fight them back...

(3) a.k.a. ‘hags’

(4) Actually, it was his Divine Inspiration ability which had just become active (see the Rogues Gallery for details)

(5) And what of Lisette’s ring, you’ll ask? Well, in my world, hags had to become really crafty to avoid pesky inquisitors, so they developed a way to mask an item’s magical aura. Basically, by investing more time/gp/xp in it, they produce an object which reads as ‘normal’ if examined by detect magic as long as the caster fails a Will save (vs DC 20 in this particular case). Both Pelrind and Siubhan failed and thus overlooked the ring.

And yes, I stole that idea from the old (2E) Al-Qadim setting, so sue me :p

(6) See the Rogues Gallery (Chapter 1) for complete details

(7) I know, not exactly the ‘standard’ model of serpentine owl. This variety is created exclusively by Maal’s priesthood. It has the ‘giant owl’ function too but the ‘normal owl’ power is replaced by ‘cryptic augury’ (which is a nice way for me to have fun and hand out a clue to my players at the same time :] )

(8) Drachenhold coinage: 1 gp = 2 ep (electrum piece) = 10 sp = 100 bp (bronze piece)

Neither pp nor cp exist. Platinum is too rare to be minted, and the old kingdom of Pellham was already using bronze pieces before the Cataclysm, so the habit stuck when the Drachens took over. The various pieces are nicknamed as follows:
gp: ‘crown’
ep: ‘noble’
sp: ‘knight’
bp: ‘common’

(9) Yes, they’re talking of the Speak with Dead spell. So, what’s so dangerous you ask? Well, I never liked the way that spell made it to 3.5E. It has become so simple and efficient that they’ve taken all the fun out of it. Thus, I modified it quite a bit.

For starter, my version once again uses the caster’s level to determine just how old the creature interrogated can be. No more 5th-level cleric asking questions of a 10,000 years old corpse!

What’s more, I don’t subscribe to that ‘imprint of the soul’ stupidity. Come on! We’re talking necromancy here. Conjuring the soul (or spirit) of a dead person to force it to answer queries should involve more than holding one’s holy symbol above a corpse for 10 minutes!

The way I see it, you drag (literally) a soul back from whatever afterlife it had and (try to) interrogate it while it’s still confused enough not to make you pay dearly for the favor. Since the session lasts 1 minute per level of the spellcaster, that leaves a lot of time for something to go wrong...

There are 4 parameters that have to be taken into account here:
a) how powerful was the person at the time of her death?
b) how traumatized was she by her death?
c) what kind of afterlife has she enjoyed (or suffered) since then?
d) did the spellcaster have anything to do with her death?

That will determine how accurate and/or truthful the replies will be. Beyond that, the more the spell lasts, the greater the risk of the soul trying to do something ‘bad’. This can range from possessing the caster to escaping as an incorporeal undead.. or worse.

Hence, that’s not the kind of spell you cast everyday, nor is it cast lightly (at least by non-Evil spellcasters).

(10) This is actually seen as a ‘necessary evil’ by elders of Morwyn’s priesthood. They know the Matriarchs’ mission is too important for them to ‘play it safe’. Hence, it is vital that they be allowed to complete it without being hindered every step of the way.

Faithful Sons, due to their training, often become overprotective of the Matriarchs they are supposed to guard, especially if the holy warrior is a veteran and the priestess is young and inexperienced. Thus, all Matriarchs must learn to ‘say no’ when their bodyguards try to influence their decisions because of what they deem an ‘unacceptable security risk’.

A Faithful Son who cannot ‘yield gracefully’ to his Matriarch quickly finds himself reassigned to the units protecting Morwyn’s temples and monasteries (where he won’t be in a position to order a Matriarch around). Matriarchs who prove too weak-willed to assert their authority when the situation calls for it are usually relegated to the infirmary of a monastery (where they will take orders exclusively from the Holy Mother in charge).

Only strong-willed Matriarchs paired with efficient but obedient Faithful Sons receive ‘high profile’ missions.

See you all back in June for the next update!

Edit: added note #10

Last edited:

Thanediel

First Post
Don't worry about Mort not answering folks. When he got back from his business trip, we cornered him and demanded a full week-end gaming session to compensate for the month we didn't game at all. So, he is busy preparing right now (not to mention reacquainting himself with his family :p ).

He told me he was impatient to work on the next update though, so I bet you'll get to read one by the end of next week.. if he survives this week-end, that is
:lol:

Ummm...OK. Update time? Yes?

I'm really looking forward to the next installment and seeing what happens with Siubhan. Good work by the way in terms of the speak with dead spell. I like the way how you so neatly put it in it's correct context so it makes sense. Good stuff!

Again, I feel the need to comment on how well you are able to present the characters of the players you DM. You truly tell a story and tell that story well.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

PS: Again, anyone just dropping by to see this post who has not read this story hour - can I firmly suggest that you do. Do not be distracted by the length of posts. Like Sepulchrave's, you appreciate the length and "meat" in each update and yearn for more.

Mortepierre

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
Ummm...OK. Update time? Yes?

I'm really looking forward to the next installment and seeing what happens with Siubhan. Good work by the way in terms of the speak with dead spell. I like the way how you so neatly put it in it's correct context so it makes sense. Good stuff!

Again, I feel the need to comment on how well you are able to present the characters of the players you DM. You truly tell a story and tell that story well.

Yes, update soon, I swear on Terak!

As always, thank you for pimping my SH and the compliments :)

In-between work, my personal life, and my two campaigns, sometimes I wish I was living on the Astral Plane. At least there I wouldn't have to worry about having only 24 hours per day! :mad:

Anyhow, my Drachenhold campaign ended during the last mega-session after (almost) 3 years of intense gaming. I confess it feels strange. Originally, I had planned on beginning a new campaign once this one was over but, after being inspired by the SH of folks such as Sep, Jollydoc or PC, I have decided to give high-level (Epic?) gaming a try.

So, once the promised update is delivered and my other gaming group gets the attention they deserve, the survivors of TFaK will pick up sword and staff again and look for another worthy cause to champion (which is to say they'll deal with the aftermath of the first campaign! :] )

Oh and, my friend, judging by your own latest update, methink you finally reached your goal (as if Destan dropping by wasn't hint enough). That is, becoming a reference to other authors. Your descriptive skills have truly grown lately! :cool:

Last edited:

Mortepierre

First Post
Apologies for the delay. Here we go.

Actually, the post was longer than this but I realized that if I finished writing all I wanted to put in there, it would be a (very) late delivery. So, let's call this 2.3 - part I, with part II already under way ;)

2.3 Dark Deeds at Dead of Night - part I:

Night found the five companions trudging across sodden fields some three miles northeast of Weston. The spring-downpour had begun at dusk, just as they were leaving the village, and the steady staccato of the rain drops had accompanied them ever since like a mournful marching band. In other circumstances, they would probably have welcomed it, interpreting it as a good omen (11). In this case, however, and given what they had set out to do, it felt more like an ominous warning.

They were all following Siubhan for once. The priestess had apparently spent the last few days secretly searching for the suitable location to conduct the ritual whenever she wasn’t busy helping the villagers, further proof that her decision had been anything but hasty. Now, she was walking in silence, mentally reviewing for the hundredth time the security measures she had taken to insure nothing dramatic would happen. The scroll had been crystal clear about it: contacting the soul - or spirit - of an evil creature entailed great risks. Thus, she needed to be extra careful to reduce them to an acceptable level.

While she was still convinced that this was the only solution at their disposal, she felt more than a little guilty for forcing her friends’ hand. She vowed to make it up to them later, especially to Kalveig. The holy warrior had barely spoken to her since her earlier outburst and looked almost despondent. She sighed and berated herself for having lost her calm. Not only had it been a deplorable incident, but the repercussions now threatened her concentration when she could least afford it!

Musadoc was close behind, weapon at the ready in case they ran into an unfriendly encounter. Kalveig and Pelrind were next, carrying a flat, rectangular-shaped object between them. Eirak was last, dragging a travois on which a rather large bundle had been strapped. He was careful to stay some twenty feet behind the others and the lower part of his face - almost up to the eyes - was covered by a piece of cloth, as if he was trying to avoid smelling something bad.

As they were walking side by side, Pelrind had been able to observe Kalveig carefully. The latter’s face betrayed no emotion, but his eyes.. those were a different story. The elf had once heard a human say that ‘eyes were the window of the soul’. If there was any truth in that statement, then the holy warrior’s soul must have been experiencing a storm of epic proportions.

“A bronze common for your thoughts...”

“Excuse-me?”

“Isn’t that the expression humans use when they wish to inquire about what others are thinking?”

“Oh, that.. aye, sorry, my mind was elsewhere..”

“A ‘15 feet ahead’ elsewhere?” asked the elf, giving a quick nod in Siubhan’s direction.

Kalveig stared at him for a few seconds before looking down at the ground, with a rueful smile on his lips. “That plain, uh?”

“To one who would call you ‘friend’, yes.”

The holy warrior stared at him again, puzzlement warring against mistrust in his eyes, till common sense won the day and he slowly relaxed. “Can I ask you something?”

Pelrind nodded.

“Do you - elves, I mean - ever experience.. regrets?”

“We do. Your race and mine aren’t that different, despite what some may have you believe. But we are taught early on to control that particular emotion. Hmm.. do you know what a tri’iak is?”

Kalveig looked at him blankly.

“No, of course, I didn’t think you would. Well, try to picture a small bear-like creature (12), albeit half of Musadoc’s size and with dark-green fur. They are placid animals who spend most of their time in the trees of my forest-kin’s home. You can detect them from afar because they smell strongly of peppermint - their favorite food. Our children love them. They like being patted and, in fact, will go out of their way to be. Moreover, when you do, they emit a sort of humming sound that is highly soothing. Elven mothers occasionally use them to help younglings reach their first meditative trance.”

“Sounds like a nice animal to have around, no?”

“Well, they would be if they hadn’t an annoying shortcoming: they are insanely jealous of each others. When one of them finds a good spot on a tree, you can bet that within an hour at the most that spot will be so overcrowded as to be entirely uninhabitable. If you start patting one, pretty soon you’ll be surrounded by an army of tri’iaks all competing for your attention. And if you dare hold one in your arms, others will jump on you from nearby trees! In short, while one is fine, it tends to ‘multiply’ rather quickly and what was once an enjoyable experience soon turns into a nightmare.”

“And the moral is..?”

“I thought that was rather obvious. Regrets may seem like a useful thing at first because they allow you to revisit the past and dream about how ‘good’ life could have been had certain events turned out differently. However, the more you dwell on them, the more you get depressed.. which in turn leads to other regrets, etc... It’s a vicious circle. In other words: it’s healthier to concern oneself about the future than the past because the former can still be influenced while the latter is fixed.”

Kalveig nodded slowly. “I don’t think my kinsmen realize just how deep the wisdom of your race runs. You are very different from what I had been taught to expect from a ‘typical’ elf. Er.. no offense intended.”

“None taken. We are all guilty of using stereotypes. As I said before, your race and mine aren’t that different. And now, if you don’t mind, I have a question of my own.”

“Shoot.”

“I am curious as to why you didn’t react more strongly when Eirak made clear his intention of keeping Nemesis whether we agreed with his decision or not.”

“Do you want the official version or the officious one?”

Pelrind grinned. “Both, call me curious.”

Kalveig chuckled but then turned serious again. “If I had to justify my actions, I would say that my role - as a Faithful Son - is to prevent conflict, not foster it. The dwarf managed to get under my skin several times already, something I am not particularly proud of. Moreover, I am not one of the heirs. Thus, it wasn’t for me to oppose his arrogance. There was something else though.” His face hardened. “Did you notice that he was the only one who showed up at the meeting fully armored? Not to mention wielding Nemesis, a magical weapon whose properties we still know next to nothing about.”

The elf couldn’t help it; he stole a glance at Eirak. “You think he would have become violent if we had tried to part him from his new ‘toy’?”

The holy warrior remained silent for a while before answering. “Given his behavior in the Vault, it was a possibility I couldn’t disregard.. and thus a risk I couldn’t afford.”

It had taken them almost 3 hours to reach the secluded spot the priestess had chosen. It was a sort of small island that had formed in the middle of the river at a point where the latter widened. To call it an ‘island’ was an exaggeration though for, in truth, it was no more than a big pile of mud mixed with branches and various debris which had been carried along by the stream. Perhaps the remains of a beavers’ dam? No matter, it would serve its purpose which was to isolate the ceremony from the mainland by surrounding the officiants with running water (13).

A makeshift altar had been raised at the highest point of the ‘island’, the item Kalveig and Pelrind had transported rested on top of it, covered by a black sheet. At its foot lay Eirak’s bundle, wrapped in hessian.

Siubhan was right next to it while her companions were surrounding her at equal distance. Thus, they formed a rough cross-shaped pattern with the altar (and priestess) at the center (14). This would insure that, if the spirit came, the life-forces surrounding it would act as ‘anchor points’ (15).

They all wore somber clothes, most having opted for a large, hooded earth-brown cloak (16). At the priestess’ urging, they had also carefully smeared the metallic parts of their equipment with soot (17).

“Now, remember: do not speak up while I interrogate the spirit. At the very least, your voice would be a distraction. At the worst, it could remind her of her last moments, thus ruining any chance of cooperation. Incidentally, that’s the reason why I insisted on large hoods. Keep them pulled tightly over your head so that your face stays hidden. Of the five of us, I am the only one who had no direct involvement in her death. I wouldn’t want her to freak out because she saw the face of one of her killers. The situation may get tense at times, so please refrain from intervening unless things get really out of hand.

The scroll warned that there would be a fair bit of bullying, insults and/or whining involved, especially when dealing with an ‘evil’ spirit. Do not let her words trouble you, and do not let her anger you. They sense negative emotions, and can ‘feed’ on them. If anyone is still uncomfortable with what is going to happen, I would ask him to leave now. Halfhearted support is no support at all in such endeavor.”

Siubhan observed a two minute silence, giving time to each of her companions to weigh the risks and - possibly - reconsider. None of them made a move to leave but Pelrind made an unexpected request.

“I know you will be busy concentrating on the ritual but, if at all possible, I would like you to.. ah.. ‘inform’ us of what you are doing at each step along the way. Just so we aren’t caught unaware or tempted to do something rash.” He winked once to reassure her.

The priestess smiled. “Fair enough.” She looked up at the sky. The moon was hidden behind clouds. Not so much that one couldn’t see it, but enough to obscure its silvery brilliance. A bit like a woman wearing a diaphanous gown. “Veiled moon, perfect. If it wasn’t for the rain, we-”

The rain stopped, as if on cue. It happened so suddenly the five adventurers were left bewildered. The “Uh oh..” from Musadoc that followed was a perfect translation of their apprehension.

“It.. it must be a simple coincidence. The spring-rains are highly unpredictable. Everyone knows that, right?” Siubhan’s voice betrayed her lack of confidence in her own statement. She coughed a few times to give herself time to refocus while the others exchanged worried looks.

“Anyway.. as I was saying, the conditions are now perfect. It’s currently faoilleach, also known as the ‘wolf-month’, a time of dearth. However, the ancients used to call it a’ marbh mhiòs, which means the ‘dead-month’. It is said spirits find it easier to travel back to the world of the living during this period of the year. Let us hope this is more than an old superstition...”

She pulled two candles from her bag, set them out on both sides of the altar, and lit them. “These will act as a beacon to guide the spirit to us, just as a boat needs a lighthouse to find its way into a safe haven (18).”

Next, she slowly unwrapped the bundle Eirak had brought to the site. She wrinkled her nose and had to bite her tongue not to show her disgust as the contents came into view: the corpse of the woman they had defeated in the Vault a week earlier. As per the tradition, it was largely intact but had been covered thoroughly in quicklime (19) by the locals.

“The lime will prevent me from talking directly to her cadaver, thus I brought this.” She unveiled the item placed on top of the altar, revealing a large mirror borrowed from the NeMoren’s manor.

“Alright, here goes nothing..” She pulled out the scroll from its case and, gently, unrolled it. Taking a deep breath, she concentrated on the words and symbols, trying to avoid any mispronunciation of the celestial tongue. As she read, power awakened within the sacred ink and letters began to disappear after being briefly outlined in bright-blue flames.

Most members of the Races of the Tree believe in a simple fact: do something sufficiently evil and, at the time of your death, Maal will judge you guilty and send you to Hell. The truth, as always, is a bit more complicated than that...

Those few beings from the Prime who are versed in planar lore understand that Hell is only one of three ‘Prison Planes’. Which one you end up in supposedly depends on the kind of ethical behavior you displayed during your mortal life. Disciplined evil belongs to Hell. Self-centered evil earns you Gehenna. And anarchic evil goes to the Abyss.

Alas for these esteemed scholars, they couldn’t be more wrong. While it is true that fiends inhabiting those planes can be expected to display a certain kind of conduct according to their place of ‘birth’, they couldn’t care less for what a soul did when it was still bound to a body of flesh and bones. To the demons, daemons and devils alike all such a soul represents can be summed up in two words: nourishment and power!

Eventually, if a soul is lucky and/or resourceful enough, it will ‘adapt’ to its surroundings and ‘evolve’ into a fiendish creature that will prey on others just as it was once preyed upon.

Another common misconception about the Prison Planes is that they are separate. After all, demons call the first layer of the Abyss the ‘Howling Threshold’, while daemons refer to the top layer of Gehenna as the ‘Circle of Wrath’, and devils use the name ‘Avernus’ for the entrance to Hell. The last thing many aspiring summoners experienced was their utter surprise at seeing, say, a demon step through a gate they had opened to what they believed was the upper level of Hell!

Actually, while those planes’ lower layers are separate, their topmost one isn’t. They simply all share the same! Celestials and loremasters call it the ‘Infernum’. Fiends nicknamed it the ‘dumping grounds’.

In an alternate reality, an Italian poet will one day experience a brief vision of Hell. His shattered mind - for who could witness such spectacle and retain sanity? - shall try to translate into words what cannot be described adequately through such limited medium. To him, the first layer of Hell will be known as ‘Limbo’, a place of sorrow without torment where the light of reason illuminates the virtuous pagans. Well, suffice it to say he got it all wrong...

Imagine a vast sea of fire beneath an unending sky that is always dark, stormy, and full of seething red light. From this nightmarish ocean emerge outcrops of red-black rocks. Some are nothing but craggy, featureless peaks in the middle of roaring flames, while others are large enough to support a multitude of cities, outposts and estates. These ‘islands’ are the territories that fiends claim and fight over endlessly. Not only because they hold entrances to the deeper layers of the three Prison Planes, but also - and especially - because this is where evil souls (and spirits) ‘crash down’ constantly, ‘raining’ from the sky. Thus, the larger territory one controls, the more souls one can reap.

Infernum
Disputed Territories - Dustbone Desert

The creature stopped and sniffed the air in search of its quarry. Its body, resembling an emaciated and hairless ape, was pale and sickly, covered with a layer of the coarse red sand prevalent in the region. It had a toothless mouth and a cyclopean orifice instead of eyes and nose.

There was nothing in sight but more sand and the occasional screaming cactus. Not even a dung mound, telltale sign of a titanic stalker.. which in itself was rather good news as it meant there were no competitors around.

It had been traveling for 7 days straight, heading ever deeper in the desert. A risky proposal as the eastern portion was currently under control of an invading demonic army. Yet, the scout believed it was well worth it. A week earlier, a Hellwarden from the Skull Ridge area had reported witnessing the passage of a ‘blazing red star’ above this region. Normally, souls that fall to the ground leave only a temporary trail of purplish vapor stretching down from the lowest cloudbank. To be described as a falling star meant it was bigger than usual, and thus contained more iliaster (20).. or that it was a newly fallen celestial. In both cases, a highly valuable commodity which House Haimon had to secure at all costs. Hence the dispatching of a Soulsniffer (21).

It was near; it could feel it. Perhaps over the next dune? As it cleared the obstacle, the fiend finally found the object of its quest. There, in a small crater, the sand had been simultaneously vitrified and shattered by the impact of a gem-like meteor which lay even now half-buried.

Cautiously, the scout drew nearer, letting its senses attune themselves to the surroundings just in case this was an elaborate trap. It wouldn’t be the first time...

Sensing nothing wrong, it crept up to the ‘meteor’ and examined it. Oblong, its outer shell had been smoothed by the intense heat that accompanied its arrival. It was red-tinted and translucent. A shape could be discerned inside.. a humanoid shape.

The tracker sniffed a few times and frowned. Whatever or whoever was inside had a spirit, not a soul. In itself, it wasn’t that unusual. Many races on the Prime owed their existence to the Fiery One but none of them had been born on the accursed Tree of Life. More the pity, for spirits were a poor substitute for souls when it came to providing iliaster.

More puzzling was the fact that it was encased in a memory-cyst (22), a rare event indeed! The Soulsniffer slowly circled the cyst, looking for clues to the identity of its creator. If it was a fiend, then the latter would have left its mark to insure safe delivery (23). Ah yes, there it was.. and it belonged to..

The scout froze, its body held in the grip of an emotion it hadn’t experienced since the time of the Celestial War, when the Renegade and his fallen angels had been exiled to Hell: unadulterated fear.

It didn’t have time to ponder the implications of its discovery as motes of blue light suddenly materialized around the cyst, circling it counterclockwise and filling the air with the heavy smell of incense. Abruptly, they penetrated through the protective material, suffusing the form inside, and then vanished as quickly as they had appeared.. leaving the crystalline coffin empty.

The fiend’s genuine surprise at this turn of event was short-lived. One second it was considering how best to capitalize on the unexpected information to advance itself, and the next it was choking on the blade that now emerged from its scrawny throat.

As it fell to the ground, it caught a brief glimpse of its murderer. Normally, the sight of an Ashmede would have been enough to astonish it but, given what he had just witnessed, it was oddly fitting...

(11) The Cataclysm ended in 6 AC when unusually heavy (some say, divine) rains finally dissipated the Mists of Chaos. Thus, since that time, folklore has associated raining with salvation.

(12) Actually, something like the unlikely cross between a koala and a sloth.

(13) All evil spirits are supposedly held at bay by it, not just those of the ‘pointy-teeth’ variety. The key word here being supposedly...

(14) The ‘cross’ Siubhan’s companions formed symbolized the crossroad between Life and Death. As they stood in a circle around her, it also represented the cycle of the seasons, the four stages of a human’s life, as well as the cardinal directions. In this case: Eirak to the North (winter/old age), Musadoc to the East (spring/childhood), Pelrind to the South (summer/adulthood), and Kalveig to the West (fall/maturity).

(15) The spirit would be drawn instinctively to nearby life-forces but, the latter being equally distant in the four cardinal directions, would find itself caught in a kind of necromantic tug of war, thus ending up immobilized at the center of the pattern. Well, that was the theory anyway...

(16) Bright (= cheerful) colors could distract the spirit or even, at worst, anger it. Another reason why the ritual had to be conducted at night.

(17) Reflective surfaces are a dangerous thing to have around during such a ritual as - supposedly - spirits can use them as ‘windows’ to the material world.

(18) Actually, the marine analogy is an apt one as the spirit has to go upstream the Dark River (also known as the ‘River of Souls’). The latter flows from the Prime Material to the Land of the Dead (Maal’s plane) through the Astral Plane, and is coterminous with the majority of the other planes along the way. Usually, this is a ‘one-way trip’, but there are a few spells that can help a soul (or spirit) travel upstream.

(19) The bodies of dead witches (and warlocks) pose an interesting conundrum to superstitious folks. Burning them is out of the question. First, because cremation is associated with rebirth and, second, because fire is also associated with the Deceiver, their ultimate lord and master.

Burying them would be like planting a seed of pure evil, so that has to be avoided too.

However, their spirit has to travel to Hell eventually or it risks haunting the living as a vengeful ghost.

Thus, commoners usually ‘drench’ them in quicklime and then hang them from a tree (not necessarily by the neck though). They believe that the lime will ‘bind’ their evil to the decaying corpse (thus preventing it from ‘leaking’ into the material world) long enough for the elements to ‘wear it away’, piece by piece. It is said black necromancers greatly prize the grey-white dust coming from such bodies.

(20) Iliaster is the substance fiends extract from souls through torture. It is their primary source of nourishment.

(21) A rare breed of devil that can track down a soul (or spirit), even over enormous distances.

(22) All those who ‘fall’ to the Infernum do so through the Lethe Clouds which rob them of their memories (making them easier preys for the fiends). Many never recover (not to mention that few survive long enough for that recovery to take place...). Some rare individuals have developed spells which can protect them from such a fate in the event of their death.. or made a deal with powerful fiends to the same effect.

(23) Any fiend powerful enough to create a memory-cyst is someone you do not want to cross.

Last edited:

Remove ads