To kill or not to kill and player ingenuity

Shemeska

Adventurer
This is ever so somewhat a rules question, but more than that it ties into when your players come up with a solution to a tough situation that frankly, you as DM, hadn't thought of a solution for.

The situation is this, I usually toss situations at my players in my current Planescape game that require a good bit of thought, never just simple hack and slash. Heck there's a flowchart I have for my current plot(s) and the players are starting their own to keep track of the various ones in the campaign. I also don't always give them situations they can realistically overcome, there's times to fight and times to realize you're in over your head and flee to fight another day.

So my players have spent the last few months of gaming tracking down a pair of Rakshasa who have apparently been mining, or otherwise doing something to a number of godisles in the Astral plane. They killed the male of the pair, the least powerful one of the two, two times, and he apparently was the first time anyways, brought back to life by his partner. The PC's have gradually come to the realization that neither of the pair are what they appear or claim to be.

Doing some investigation, the PC's find out the pair has obtained a device know as the Divinity Leach, created by an insane mortal spellcaster known as Ghyris Vast. They track down Vast in the prison of Pitiless upon the Astral, and he's all too happy to talk to them, in between insane babbling and ranting about random things. But he's clearly a genius underneath it all. He also claims to have had help, but thats a bit of information neither the Rakshasas know apparently, or that they PC's have fully grasped the implications of as of yet.

They eventually track down the location of the Divinity Leach along with the female of the Rakshasa pair. Upon comfronting her, they find out that she's not a Rakshasa as they expected, but rather a female Arcanoloth, Shylara Akt'Atarm, both lover and protege of the current Oinoloth and mistress of the Tower of Incarnate Pain in Carceri. She and the PC's come to blows, and one round into the conflict she's taken a few hits, doesn't appear to be that concerned, but has dropped two or three of the PC's. They end up killing her, and are rather surprised they managed to do so, until 5 minutes later she steps out of thin air and applauds them with a smirk on her face, and then hurls a meteor swarm.

Her trick was this: she's astrally projecting from the first layer of Carceri, and while on the Astral she steps through a color pool that leads to the demiplane the PC's have encountered her on. This act forms an astral body on the demiplane, and if she's killed while there she simply wakes up back on Carceri, none the worse for wear. I've also, mostly as a house rule so the PC's don't get slaughtered in one or two rounds, severely reduced her abilities while in an astral body. Halved her HP, reduced spell saves, reduced spell selection, etc.

One of the PC's now that she's back for round two, five minutes later, has asked me out of game what happens if he manages to hit her in said form, with a flesh to stone. Does she awaken back on Carceri with the spell ending, or does she lapse into some sort of arcane coma with her spirit trapped within the astral form, unable to return to the lower planes. I havn't given her any contingencies that would deal with this, and its a sweet idea on his part to try, I won't change what she has mid game to make her survive the effect. I rather enjoy the character, but I won't pull a fast one to save her bacon from an enterprising prime mage.

So here's my question, what's everyones opinion here, assuming she fails a save here and he breaches her SR, is she back on Carceri and prepping for round 3 more or less, or is she down for the count and incapacitated until one of her underlings either helps her back on Carceri, or more likely she's assassinated while in a vulnerable state?

Felix

Explorer
I'd say let the mage get away with it.

Since anyone hit by a Flesh to Stone can be brought back to life (unless necessary body parts are missing) with a Stone to Flesh, I think the Arcanoloth is in for some trouble. Her spirit gets trapped in the statue.

Then the question is: what if someone breaks the statue? Does she die permanently? Or is she shunted back to the other plane? In this case, shunt her back. And have the new posessor of the Divinity Leach not happy to see her return.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
The projector is only returned to her body if her Astral Body is killed, not if it's merely incapacitated. Since Flesh to Stone doesn't actually kill the target, I'd say she's stuck in the rock until someone casts Dispel Magic upon her actual body, or her Astral Body is killed, or her silver cord is cut (resulting in her actual death.)

If the stone shape is shattered, that would actually kill her were she not projecting, so the result would be shunting her back to her actual body.

Xeriar

First Post
Please give the mage some credit for having memorized the spell :p

A similar situation happened in a campaign I am in.

We were four players and one useless wanna-be-player, all 10th or 11th level. We're down on spells, resources, hit points, and sleep. For a variety of reasons, we have to hit Obior's Tower of High Sorcery -that night-. Since one of the players was recently allied with them, and another defected only a short while ago, and they wanted my character alive, a plot was born.

We were brought to a specially sealed room where the only exit - even for a gaseous creature - was the crack under the door.

So, we face of with Konstantine, who turns out to be a vampire and level 22 to boot.

Through surprise, meeting him alone, a barbarian dishing out massive damage (with the help of a weapon imbued with positive energy), and sheer unwarranted luck (we made all of our saves!) we bring him down, and he turns gaseous.

Now, minor point, the cleric in the party is standing between the vampire and the door.

Of course his holy symbol is out. CR 24 character has seconds left in existance.

Knowing we were likely going to be facing undead, we brought along lots of holy water.

Inremar (my character) could fly and smash holy water on the cieling (or whatever) to drop it on him, DM ruled that 10 points of damage would make him re-form,

Sever head from body, light both on fire, voila, the world has one less terrible evill to worry about. :)

Seriously though, the amount of lightning planning that went into that battle deserved credit, IMO.

ptrpete

First Post
I agree with Lord Pendragon, she should be treated as incapacitated until either the staue is broken or stone-to-fleshed. Doubtles someone on Carceri will notice in a few days and then Dispell Magic on her. Or maybe the Oinoloth will send someone to look for her.

jasper

Rotten DM
First according to srd the casting time on astral projection is 30 minutes not 5 minutes. So I call that a oops unless the rules have change to allow at will spells to ignore casting time.
Second her being a statue is an easy out. Again the srd last paragraph.. The spell last until the character desires it, or blah blah dispel magic, or destruction of prime body. So she can give her a wake up call and the statue will disappear.

The Question I have is Does recasting the spell cause the new body to have spells like it is new day or is limited by what was expended in the first encounter. In other words if caster is limited by spells per day and has cast half of them, does he she it have a new refilled list or limited to the spells uncasted.

So punk did I fire five fireballs or six? In all the confusion I forgot!

The way I will rule off the cuff is any spells expended on that plane counts to the number of spells cast. So if the creature is limit to 3 casting of Kill the Rabbit spell per day at will and has burned two of them in the last encounter, only one Kill the Rabbit is allowed. The at will etc are still available.

And thank you for breaking up the posting so I could read it.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I'm pretty certain I'll be giving the mage the benefit of the doubt on the issue, assuming he breaks the SR and she fails the save. Out of game I know he usually slots more than one of flesh to stone, so this should be interesting. It's an inventive solution and one I'm more than willing to play with simply because of the fun behind the scenes possibilities if she fails the save.

Also, regarding Astral Projection's casting time... assume a custom spell or an item to give some DM wiggle room here. *chuckle* Besides, her projected form is already weaker than her physical form back on Carceri, both from the spell itself being a tad customized and that she's tied to Carceri for portions of her power.

And for if spells the astral body expends are counted against the person's spells per day, I count them as expended spells regardless if she gets shunted back to Carceri and then re-projects. Otherwise it simply gives her too many options, and I'm already toning her down in projected form anyways. But thats my take on it.

And its rather unlikely the Oinoloth is going to bail her out. If her arrogance gets her in trouble, its a lesson she'll learn. And being lovers doesn't absolutely imply any love in the equation for two Yugoloths. Despite what she might want to exist, his feelings on the matter are dark.

She has enough enemies within her own ranks on Carceri as well as others in Gehenna and even Khin-Oin that if she's incapacitated she has more important things to worry about than the PC's who sent her to that state. This is going to be interesting. *grin*

Remove ads