• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E To make all class/race combinations viable: adding +1 ability bonus from class that you take at your 1st level

All class/race combinations are viable, because enemies in this edition are woefully underpowered.

Not all class/race combinations are competitive, but this isn't a competition.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
...oh look, no new posts to see... *sigh* sorry all - just posting so the forum will stop showing new posts in this thread when there aren't because I'm being ignored by someone.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
With this rule every class would at 1st level +1 bonus to one ability which is important to class mechanics.

This +1 bonus would not stack with racial bonus to abilities(except standard humans), but it would give each race option to get 16 in their primary or secondary statistics.

Each class would have 3 abilities that one of thenm could be raised by +1 with this option.

Reduce point buy pool by 1 or 2 points if you see it necessary.

abilities for each class would be;

Barbarian; str,dex,con,

Bard; dex,int,cha,

Cleric; str,wis,cha,

Druid; con,int,wis,

Fighter; str,dex,con,

monk; str,dex,wis,

paladin; str,wis,cha,

ranger; str,dex,wis,

rogue; dex,wis,cha,

sorcerer; con,int,cha,

warlock; dex,int,cha,

wizard; con,int,wis,

This seems fine on the surface. My only problems would be that int is not that useful for druids and sorcerers, it adds nothing to viability (Maybe Dex? Or leave only three scores for really mad classes?)

dmnqwk

Explorer
Instead of looking for "balance" simply allow them to perform a trade.

Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, Half Orcs, Tieflings and Dragonborn can all trade their +2 attribute for +1 to any stat, and proficiency in an extra skill from their class list. This would ensure every class is capable of beginning with a 16, without the concern for worrying about unbalanced options (the skill proficiency is to help offset the 2 for 1 cost).

Humans and Half-Elves are capable of 16s in any stat already and so do not require the rules.

This would allow, for example, an Elf who lacked the usual grace and dexterity of their race to have focused on toughening themselves up with a daily routine of "carrying heavy things" to trade their +2 dex in for +1 Str.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
13th Age does something similar and it works very well.

I did something similar in 4E and it worked well there too. I called it a "heroic bonus" and you could apply it to any ability, not just a class-based list, but it didn't stack with racial ability bonuses. (In 5E you'd probably want it to stack with the human's bonus, though.)

CapnZapp

Legend
...oh look, no new posts to see... *sigh* sorry all - just posting so the forum will stop showing new posts in this thread when there aren't because I'm being ignored by someone.
You do realize the rest of us can easily see who posted just before you, right?

In other words: stop doing this, please. You are calling out the people ignoring you, unwittingly or not.

Zardnaar

Legend
We discovered that the 4d6 we ended up with less optiimising in class and race combinations. We started seeing things like Dwarf Sorcerers.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
You do realize the rest of us can easily see who posted just before you, right?
Of course you can... but that isn't relevant to my post or why I made it.
In other words: stop doing this, please. You are calling out the people ignoring you, unwittingly or not.
I am not "calling out" the people ignoring me. It makes no sense to believe I could even try to do that, considering they are the only people I am sure can't read what I'm saying.

What I am doing is posting so that the forum list stops showing the new unread posts button, so that I don't click on it again in an hour only to find myself briefly wondering if the forum is broken before I realize "No, wait, for some reason that's what this forum does when someone ignoring me posts." The resolution to which comes down to a short list of things, all of which seem to me not to be very likely. (Specifically, that I finally get used to checking not just the titles of threads and the new unread posts button, but also look at the other side of the screen and see who made the last post so I can wait for it to be someone not ignoring me before entering the thread again - or the forum be reprogrammed so that the ignore feature is one-sided instead of hiding someone's posts from me because they don't want to see what I have to say, or so that the ignore function and new unread posts button collaborate with eachother such that posts I can't read don't turn on the new unread posts button).

Also, I appreciate you asking politely for me to stop, but I won't. If you believe my posts break some kind of rule so I'm not allowed to make them, that's what the report button is for.

Additionally, you don't need to reply to continuously see updates. Opening the page is enough. @AaronOfBarbaria
I'm not replying to see updates - I'm replying so that the thread registers no unread posts, which it won't do if the last post in the thread is one I can't see.

I hope you realize that you can still see all of the posts, if you want to, just by browsing the thread in an incognito window? (Or signing out, but then you have to bother signing back in again.)

I mean, you wound so woeful about it and all that I thought I'd at least mention it.

@Kryx, opening the page isn't enough in all cases. When the ignored post is the first post on the next page, it kicks you back to the previous page (because the page you're trying to open would be empty), which means the forum never realizes that you've read the whole thread, and it stays bolded. It's one of the little glitches related to Ignore.

Last edited:

Remove ads