• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E To Screen or not to Screen

manduck

Explorer
Now that I have a tablet, I don't use a DM screen anymore. I used to use the screen so that players couldn't see any adventure notes I had out. Now I just have my notes in a word file that I can look at on my Kindle. Just keep the cover closed and no one sees my notes. I roll dice in front of everyone and use scrap paper or a blank word doc on my tablet to track damage. I found that screens got in the way a lot, especially if you use maps. Plus reaching over a screen has led to some drink or snack spills from various people at my table, me included. So I prefer going screenless.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never used a screen. Maybe a couple of times 20 years ago. I like to stand up when running a game, anyway.

pirate gonzalez

First Post
The only times I use a screen are when I need space at a small table. It's kind of reserving myself some space so that I can fit a book and roll without losing dice. Otherwise, I don't use one.

JonnyP71

Explorer
I use a DM screen. I *rarely* use it a reference though, I use it to obscure vision from my notes, books, and rolls.

Since I do not use any Tablet or Laptop, I rely on my old traditional composition notebooks, graph paper, mini spiral notepad, and spiral notebook. So all my checks, monsters, encounters, etc...are all listed and could be potentially seen by the players whether they are trying to peek or not.

I also lay the monster manual or NPC sheets out behind the screen. Without it, the players would see the enemies and their stats pretty easy.

Lastly, I like having my rolls hidden. This way I can fudge my rolls, usually to keep from TPK'ing the party if I failed to design an encounter properly. I have fudge things in favor of the enemies, but that is more rare. Basically I feel by hiding the dice I can keep the game more interesting.

The only thing I could see myself easily changing is rolling in the open since I fudge rolls incredibly rarely. But I would still like a screen to hide my physical notes and whatnot.

Same.

I stand up, walk around and do a lot from memory, but I like the screen to keep my rolls and notes private. Key combat rolls are made in the open, but I hide almost every other roll from the players (especially now we are taking a break from 5E for a game of 1E, so I roll for PC thief skills, secret door checks, listening checks etc - those rolls that *should* be made by a DM).

I don't use technology when DMing, so I have my notes laid out. I won't DM any game using a battle mat either, so the presence of a screen is not a problem for the players, who just need room for sheets, dice, and small dry wipe board and drinks.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I use a screen flat on the table for the reference charts in it for my regular group, but I haven't had an upright screen in front of me for a long time. I roll my dice out in the open but frankly I could cheat on my die rolls and my players likely wouldn't notice unless it was an outrageous cheat (like claiming a crit or something like that). Likewise they don't try to look at my maps or notes or anything even though they're sitting right out where people can see them. We're all a fairly trusting group.

However in the group I run for kids, I have to use a screen. The kids like to peek at notes and generally haven't figured out yet that most of the fun of the game is NOT knowing what's coming next and being surprised by it. So for them a screen and more of the rolls are hidden instead of in the open (mostly because I just roll right in front of myself and that's blocked by a screen, not because I'm taking care to keep the rolls hidden).

Yes. This is the one time I do use the screen. Also, for kids, the sense of the unknown, forbidden secrets, hidden behind the DM screen adds to the sense of mystery and excitement. Sometimes I'll just pickup up the dice and roll them for no reason, suck air through my teeth and shake my head sadly. The kids will go nuts trying to figure out what I'm rolling for. >:)

When I've let my kids DM (only Hero Kids, DD5e is still a bit much for them to run at their ages), they ALWAYS want t use a screen. It makes them feel important and i can have fun being overly worried about whatever rolls they make behind the screen.

MNblockhead

I use a DM screen. I *rarely* use it a reference though, I use it to obscure vision from my notes, books, and rolls.

Since I do not use any Tablet or Laptop, I rely on my old traditional composition notebooks, graph paper, mini spiral notepad, and spiral notebook. So all my checks, monsters, encounters, etc...are all listed and could be potentially seen by the players whether they are trying to peek or not.

I also lay the monster manual or NPC sheets out behind the screen. Without it, the players would see the enemies and their stats pretty easy.

One thing that helps me is my set up for my home games has a conference table. At one end is a tall square table that I put a plasma display on for RealmWorks player view. I have a law Ikea kids activity table under the tall table that is off to the side of where I sit at the head of the table. I put my books and binders on that activity table, which is lower than the conference table so that he table itself acts as a screen. I put minis and terrain behind the TV (though I will still keep many in boxes or have battlemaps upside down, just in case someone take a peek while grabbing something from the fridge or counter.

MNblockhead

Now that I have a tablet, I don't use a DM screen anymore. I used to use the screen so that players couldn't see any adventure notes I had out. Now I just have my notes in a word file that I can look at on my Kindle. Just keep the cover closed and no one sees my notes. I roll dice in front of everyone and use scrap paper or a blank word doc on my tablet to track damage. I found that screens got in the way a lot, especially if you use maps. Plus reaching over a screen has led to some drink or snack spills from various people at my table, me included. So I prefer going screenless.

I wonder how many who have given up screens are because they now use laptops and tablets.

My laptop is pretty much my DM screen.

I use a screen, but it's not for hiding dice rolls. It's so I can have the map/module out, write notes, and track hp and other events without worrying about the players seeing it. Sometimes I use a tablet or laptop, but for the most part that's not what I use. Sometimes I have the screen folded up and just laying on top of the page I'm on, but I still use a screen of sorts fairly often.

I wonder how many who have given up screens are because they now use laptops and tablets.

My laptop is pretty much my DM screen.

I work IT and still don't like to use tech for gaming stuff. I scribble notes, lay out several photocopied maps/stats/etc in front of me, etc, in ways that are simpler for me using analog tools than the time and effort it would take to use digital ones. For some stuff, particularly things that we don't need often, I have a laptop on hand, but it's hardly ever used.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've always used a screen and I still do. I like to have open pages in front of me (either adventures or my own notes), as well as scribbled stuff, in-combat hit point totals, etc. etc., and the screen facilitates that. In addition, the screen is a convenient ledge on which to hand initiative cards, images, reminders, and other player-focused stuff. Occasionally, it even has useful reference stuff on it too!

I'm also a firm believer in the separation between players and DM. There are systems where casually sitting around as a group befits the game, but I don't feel D&D is one of them. I like a table and a screen.

Honestly, I spend three-quarters of my time on my feet anyway, and when roleplaying I might move around the room a bit. But I like my screen.

Remove ads