• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

to the superhero gamers: what/where is your campaign set

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
My game is set in San Matias, CA - a knock off of L.A. I developed the city years ago and when Freedom City came out I took a few elements from there. For someone starting out I would just suggest Freedom City which is what I would do if I were starting over again.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't play M&M, but I do play Champions (gasp, a non-D20 game). We've almost exclusively played in "real world" cities. NY is the first, but we live near it to get details right. After that it's been all over - West Coast, Atlanta, etc. Very easy to get maps and prominant points - just write the tourism board for a vacatioon packet. (Okay, much of this gaming has happened before the WWW was around.)

Now, a bit of work fitting supers into our world plan may suggest changes to cities, if supers have been around for a while. The current campaign is a emerging powers game set soon after 9/11 where super powers didn't exist previously. Very interesting.

Cheers,
=Blue

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Well, I pretty much run my campaign in San Antonio (since I live here & all that), though since my game's roughly a "What If?" setting, I pretty much go nuts with continuity as I see fit.

JoAT

First Post
I tend to play in a weird hybred of cities - most campaigns are set in Century Station (I know, but it's the rules that suck - Palladium actually does have some half deccent settings), which is relocated to a Marvel universe varient that also contains a few extra cities - all ripped from other super hero games.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have run future supers campaigns set on wandering, city-sized starships, modern supers campaigns set in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and one set in a Wellsian/Vernian/steampunk version of the London of 1900.

I have used published settings as well, both "as is" and as source material. Shadowrun and Space 1889 were both good for source material (see my first sentence...).

Last edited:

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Our M&M game is set in a fictional city of our own creation.

"Meridian City" is in the middle of the American westcoast near the northern California border (right about where Eureka would be).

The city is kind of a cross between San Francisco and New York City.

We are trying to make the city feel more real and developed so we are playing a series of linked campaigns to play out its history. The idea is that charcters from one game will be mentors, parents or NPCs in following games.

Our first campaign was a power level 5 pulp game set in the late '20s. That went for about 15 sessions or so.

We are just finishing up a PL7 Masked Mystery Men campaign (where one of the pulp characters is now the NPC mayor of the city). As soon as we are done (in a few more sessions) we will start our WWII golden-age, "heroes on the home-front" game at PL10 (with one of the Masked Men characters moving on into the new age). After 20 sessions or so, we will then move on to the Silver Age, etc, etc...

So far it's been a blast! And the continuity between the campaigns has been just what we've been looking for!

DMScott

First Post
GlassJaw said:
I've been thinking about running a M&M game and I was just wondering where people set their games. Does anyone use a published campaign setting? Does anyone just grab a map of NYC and set the heroes loose?

I always set mine in the nearest relatively major city - Toronto for most of my life, Vancouver now. Maps and other reference materials are trivial to find, and I can get stuff at a level of detail far greater than any fictional setting on any topic I might be interested in. It also makes it easy to set the scene, of course, and I can get adventure ideas just from driving around town.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Mine is set around the Kansas City, MO area. Granted, it's set in the near-future after in an Age of Apocalypse styled setting, so it's not like it looks much like KCMO anymore!

Kane

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We use Boston, too. So far The Boston Beacons have trashed the Museum of Fine Arts (knocking someone through the mummy cases), the Boston Public Library, the Big Dig, the Boston Aquarium (freeing all the exotic fish into Boston Harbor), the Zakim Bridge, the Museum of Science, Fenway Park, Gilette's factory in Southie, and so much more!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads