• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To use a sword you need high dex.. What's with that?!

Wepwawet

Explorer
I keep reading and hearing that if want to use Heavy Blades you need Dex, to use Spears you need Wis, etc, etc...

What's up with that?
Is it because of a few feats?
Can't one be fine without them?

I'm asking because I built an intelligent and clumsy Genasi Barbarian. For roleplaying reasons and to make the most out of the Genasi intelligence bonus I gave him 8 Dexterity.
Oh and he'll be using a falchion or a glaive.
And I think it's fine...

Another question, which weapon do you recommend? I can't decide myself between falchion and glaive, my two favorite weapons.

AngryMojo

First Post
The secondary ability bonuses come into play with the weapon specific feats and for some fighter powers. If you're playing a barbarian, and you don't care about blade opportunist, you'll be fine.

I personally believe that heavy blades are superior because of their proficiency bonus, but that's another story.

Prism

Explorer
Is it because of a few feats?
Can't one be fine without them?

Yes thats pretty much it for non fighters. Heavy blade opportunity and heavy blade mastery are the main two from the PHB with a few more in martial power. Personally I'd go with Falchion of those two.

When/if you get to epic levels and are missing the enhanced crit feat then you can always retrain

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads