• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ToB, per encounter abilities and Spellcasters...

Corvus_Obscurus

First Post
Design Aims:
  • As little rule modification as possible
  • Any additional rules/mechanics should be kept as simple as possible
  • Seamlessly insertible into any campagin

Assumptions: Spellcasters are more difficult to play than Fighters. Having a character that has no special abilities left to use is boring.

Reason: Spellcasters require effective resource management. Fighters can use their special abilities all day long (see Tome of Battle).

Solution Attempt:
Before tyring to fix the true spellcasters the idea is applied to psionics, as this at least seems to be easier. Basically, every manifester has an additional amount of power points equal to 2 + half ML. These PP are called Reserve Points and cannot be depleted, though the manifester can use them to manifest a power.
Essentially this means that any given manifester has a basic set of abilities he cannot be stripped of.

Problem:
Reserve Points equal to 2 + half ML can be too much or too low, therefore what seems like a reasonable amount to you?

Alternatives:
  • RP = Manifesting Ability Bonus
  • RP = Level of the highest Power

Values:
Code:
.............LV..RP
Psion.........1...2
Psion.........5...4
Psion........10...7
Psion........20..12

Asurya

First Post
OK 2 things:

First, you should use martial classes, or initator when you talk about ToB... the other word is just... you know like these forbidden incantations: you say it something terrible happen.

Second (and more constructive hopefully :p), what you are trying to acheive is good and I saw an attempt on another forum. Here it goes (not my work, credits to whoever did it):
basically as the "old balance model" revolves around the "iconic" 4 encounter per day thing, what you have to do to encounterize PP is to determine PP normally (from class level + bonus from high stat score) and then divide by 4, rounding down.
Voila, you're set!
(the only thing is dividing by 4, I hope it will be simple enough for your setting :D)

[EDIT]
ah! I forgot: be warned that encouterizing PP or spell slots will severly hamper (if not totally screw) the nova effect of casters/manifesters. It may not be a bad thing, but it's worth pointing out.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Corvus_Obscurus

First Post
Thanks for your answer, Asurya.

The problem with encounterizing (and ToB) is that everything works out fine as long as the abilities are only used in combat. Using them outside combat poses problems again.

Keeping the standard allotment of PP/Spell Slots per day but not allowing them to sink below a certain value enables casters to still go nova (though they can only cast their basic spells after that) whereas encounterization does not.

What I am looking for right now is a value of RP that turns out to be not overpowering nor useless. And perhaps a way to apply the same principle to ToB (thus making the majority of maneuvers availble once/day but still allow a small set to be usable any time).

Greetings
~Corvus Obscurus~

SKid4

Explorer
You could make 0-level spells usable at will. For psionics, the equivalent might be a 1st-level power that wasn't augmented (costing 1 power point) and requires expending psionic focus.

Asurya

First Post
@SKid4: In fact Lycanthromancer did what you suggest in his revised power list: he re-inserted 0th level power and manifesting them just costs you your focus.

@Corvus_Obscurus: I see your problem with 'all day' use of useful low level spells, in fact ToB is mostly focused on combat so it's less an issue, but I saw several people complaining about the Shadow Hand D-Door maneuvers. Several buff should be slightly changed to handle that.
I don't think PP/4 useless, just barring you the nova route. The whole point of nova is burning a lot of (not easily refreshable) resources for great effect... so it's quite a gamble really: "am I sure to finish them of with that move? because if not I will be helpless for the counter atk and the day to come."
with low resources always available to you, people won't mind that much for the concequences... because they will still be able to contribute all day long.
Mind you, your solution is better than reserve feats where you have to sequester 'big' resources to power up lesser all day up ones.

hope that helps

Corvus_Obscurus

First Post
Well there is not much of a difference between "going nova and being unable to do anything special" and "going nova and being unable to do anything meaningful".

It doesn't bother the Balor at 20th level whether you can still cast Burning Hands at will or not, but the player has at least some ability to rely on when facing other calamities.

So basically there is still need of checking the actual values for the variant, not whether the variant is good or not.

Asurya

First Post
I honestly confess that I don't know squat about high level balance, so I will be of no help for your Balor scenario.
The various campaign I played or DMed always started low level and only one saw lvl10. I can assure you that in this "life span", your option will have a great impact (I agree that in this life span, the nova argument is quite moot).

Remove ads