• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ToB vs Core Classes

shilsen

Adventurer
blargney the second said:
Honestly, it's fine as is. The warblade is on par with the barbarian.
Agreed. I personally think both swordsage and crusader are stronger classes than the warblade. And that while all three may outclass the fighter, they work just fine in a game with the other classes.

Nail

First Post
styker said:
I was thinking to do something like you, specially changing the HD to d10. So, the recomendation is: "Take careful with warblade" ? o_O

First: It's clear I'm in the minority. :D

Second: Just be prepared to adjust the ToB:Bo9S classes during play. Be sure your players know you may house rule stuff after you've seen how it plays. It's not a perfect solution, but given the mixed-bag of ToB:Bo9S, it's necessary.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I agree with Nail. A couple of maneuvers need adjustments, and you might not notice until you see it in play. In my opinion, you should nix White Raven Tactics, and adjust the lower-level maneuver that does +8d6 damage to be +4d6 damage (I think it is a typo), for example.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I've allowed ToB:Bo9S in my game. Seen a Swordsage / Cleric / RKV, a straight Swordsage and a Warblade -- apparently we don't like the complexity of Crusaders. IMHO, they're all fine as-is, except:

- Iron Heart Surge: cannot end area effects, can only remove conditions and effects targeted at the initiator.
- White Raven Tactics: grants a single Move, or a single melee attack, to an ally (not yourself).
- Soaring Raptor thingy (the one where you jump and stun) has a Fort DC of 10 + maneuver level + ability bonus (Strength I think), not a Fort DC equal to your Jump check.
- War Master's Charge is limited to you + 10 allies, and the Stun effect has a Fort DC 19 + ability mod. You're unlikely to get even that many, but in theory it's broken. So I remove the theoretical badness but leave the practical goodness.

Cheers, -- N

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Nifft said:
- Iron Heart Surge: cannot end area effects, can only remove conditions and effects targeted at the initiator.
- White Raven Tactics: grants a single Move, or a single melee attack, to an ally (not yourself).
- Soaring Raptor thingy (the one where you jump and stun) has a Fort DC of 10 + maneuver level + ability bonus (Strength I think), not a Fort DC equal to your Jump check.
- War Master's Charge is limited to you + 10 allies, and the Stun effect has a Fort DC 19 + ability mod. You're unlikely to get even that many, but in theory it's broken. So I remove the theoretical badness but leave the practical goodness.
How have those changes worked out in play? They read well. :)

seans23

First Post
I've been DM'ing Expedition To Castle Ravenloft.

So far, we've had three deaths: a swordsage, a crusader, and a cleric.
The fighter, warlock, and bard have all survived.

So three overpowered deaths, while the three underpowered classes have survived. Go figure.

Nail

First Post
Nifft said:
Good changes, and ones I've seen (as I'm sure you have) in other threads.

So Nifft: You haven't found Moment of Perfect Mind to be an issue? (I nerfed it to a flat +6 morale bonus.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Nail said:
Good changes, and ones I've seen (as I'm sure you have) in other threads.
Ones I've typed in other threads, too. ;)

Nail said:
So Nifft: You haven't found Moment of Perfect Mind to be an issue? (I nerfed it to a flat +6 morale bonus.)
Not even slightly. It either comes up not at all (in which case the Warblade wasted one of his very few slots), or the Enchanter / Illusionist / gaze-attack critter / dominate-at-will Vamprie manages to throw a Will save more than once every 2-3 rounds.

And then the party hits 16th level and everyone walks around with a mind blank all day.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads