• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tobacco, Hookah, Incense, and Magic

Samloyal23

Adventurer
a) Potions meant to effect the imbiber made in smokable form take longer to have an effect, but have increased duration when they do so.
b) Any gaseous cloud spell can be made in smokable form and gains a free +1 caster level compared to bottled forms, but the pipe itself must either be in or adjacent to the area of effect.
c) Cure spells can't be made in smokable form, but other healing type magic (cure disease, restoration, etc.) still function.
d) Divination spells made in smokable form gain increased caster level compared to ones that are drunk.
e) Spells that induce spell can be made in smokable form, regardless of their target or area of effect, and gains +1 caster level. However, range is limited in the same way as gaseous spells.

Characters which can Brew Potions can make the smokable version of the potion with a successful Craft (Apothecary) check at DC 15 + spell level. Failure ruins the potion. Alternately, at the time Brew Potion is taken, the character can indicate that they wish to specialize in smoked potions. In this case, they can make smokable potions normally but require a Craft (Alchemy) check to brew the imbibed form.

Thank you so much for doing all of my work for me. :) This is going to be a feature of the city of Shosnar in my Last Lands campaign. The city is based on Egypt and the Ottoman Empire. So it is full of cafes with hookahs, coffee, bellydancers, and people plotting nefarious schemes.

Celebrim

Legend
Anyone have any thoughts on devices like hookah pipes and samovars being enchanted?

The first thought I have is that they'd be equivalent to a wand, with say 50 charges of a smokable type potion.

Alternately, they could have a form like, "Sacrifice X g.p. worth of smokable ingredients, get a smokable type potion effect."

Or they could have a form like, "Produce 3/day smokable potion effects."

Or some combination thereof, depending on how powerful you wanted them to be.

I'm also a bit intrigued by a "Servant of the Hookah" type item, where you load it with tobacco and when you smoke it, you summon something like Smoke Mephit, Medium Smoke Para-Elemental, or even a unique smoke genii (somewhere between an Efretti and a Djinn) to perform a service for you.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Good ideas, Celebrim. I can see any type of djinn or efreet being summoned, even other types of elemental creatures. Accidentally summoning a mephit could be annoying as all get out. I like the idea of spending charges to enchant tobacco as a potion to be smoked. I could see a samovar or similar device turning tea or coffee into a specific potion, too...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm also a bit intrigued by a "Servant of the Hookah" type item, where you load it with tobacco and when you smoke it, you summon something like Smoke Mephit, Medium Smoke Para-Elemental, or even a unique smoke genii (somewhere between an Efretti and a Djinn) to perform a service for you.
Ganjinn?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Drugs are part of the game. However, the rules only include fictional drugs, so there are no stats for real world substances except for alcohol and opium. Hemp would probably have a lesser effect to opium, but you could compare opium to make your own stats for hemp use. Poppies falls under opium for certain. Tobacco, while addictive and having long term health issues, is only really a slight stimulant so its effects should be mild.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I am thinking coffee and tobacco reduce fatigue temporarily, delaying its effects. After adding the god Nefertem to my background for Shosnar I am thinking there should be some kind of mechanic for aromatherapy and the use of perfume in social situations...

diaglo

Adventurer
Drugs are part of the game. However, the rules only include fictional drugs, so there are no stats for real world substances except for alcohol and opium. Hemp would probably have a lesser effect to opium, but you could compare opium to make your own stats for hemp use. Poppies falls under opium for certain. Tobacco, while addictive and having long term health issues, is only really a slight stimulant so its effects should be mild.

for resource from older gaming material check out the 1edADnD DMG (1979) Appendix J pages 220-221
yes, i did that from memory without looking it up.

edit: on page 26-27 there is more about gems and their properties which could include modern day crystals.

edit2: these were fresh in my memory b/c a couple years back one of the guys in my group wanted to use herbalism as his background. and even more recently JoeBlank set it for his PC in our current campaign.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads