• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Today, I...

dragonis111

First Post
The pathfinder beginner box was very well thought out for beginners, one of the best I have seen, and all the items inside are made of surprisingly good quality for a beginners set.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
...taught three 13-15 year olds how to play D&D by using the superb Pathfinder beginner set.
Insert pre-emptive asinine comment about how "Pathfinder isn't D&D" here. Okay, I got that out of the way so NOBODY ELSE NEEDS TO SAY IT.

In other news, that is awesome. Next year at about this time they'll be wolfing down your barbecue at the Boston Game Day and reminiscing about "the good old days."

Congratulations on keeping the dream alive.

For me I love the BBox and would love to see it as a supported product like ADnD and BECMI was!

But well done, it is too complex for my kids but I reckon in a few years...

Azgulor

Adventurer
The Pathfinder Beginner Box is a great, great intro product. I bought it for my oldest son as his starter set because he wants to be able to GM.

I introduced him and his brother into the game about two years ago using the Core Rulebook and introducing additive concepts over a few sessions.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Also, at the risk of sounding asinine, if you ask my kids, they play Pathfinder. D&D is a game dad used to play when he was younger. :p :)

While it's not important in the grand scheme of things, it does illustrate the false belief that D&D is the "gateway brand" to RPGs. Of course, it still can be, but I think the Beginner Box goes a long way towards changing that...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I am so very uninterested in an edition discussion, please. I could be using that time to be training new gamers!

My friend's 8 yr old son sat in on our 4e game tonight, and did great. It's been a good week for this.

Edit: that said, interesting that your kids differentiate Pathfinder from D&D. I don't particularly make that distinction. And now I'm breaking my own request... :)

Bacris

First Post
I've heard a number of people say the beginner box is excellent. What is it that sets it apart?

It's a few things:

It starts with the basics and goes from there. It strips out a lot of the less simple aspects of the game (no AoOs, no combat maneuvers, etc).

It starts you off in a 1-player adventure and walks you through what you have to do and how to do it.

For character creation, it strips out the vast majority of options and gives you static selections. For example, there are only three wizard options instead of all the different schools (universalist, evocation, illusion). The wizard also doesn't get a familiar, he gets the bonded item option instead.

It doesn't have item creation to deal with or understand.

The only classes are the "core four" - fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue

The only races are the dwarf, elf, and human

It gives suggested feats, skills, and equipment to make character creation faster.

It has a very conversational tone and does not assume any knowledge of how the system works.

The racial entries are simplified. For example, dwarves don't have Defensive Training, Greed, Stability, or Stonecunning.

The classes aren't written in table format - it's "1st level - here's your crap." then there's a level-up section that deals with what you get if you get to 2nd level.

There are under 30 total feats to select.

There are no metamagic feats.

There are no exotic weapons.

There is no encumbrance (but there is slow down from armor).

Lots of things like that - things that you would likely want in a full game, but removing them from a "Beginner" game makes it a lot easier to understand and quickly play without having to do hours of research. You can have a character ready in less than 10 minutes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads