• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Today My Bookcase Collapsed Under the Weight of My RPGs

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I recently found myself in the same boat with one of my bookshelves collapsing under the weight of my RPG books. Ironically, it wasn't one of the cheap IKEA shelves that collapsed (they are still holding up ten years and one move later go figure) but the much more expensive Gothic Cabinet Craft (don't know if that chain exists outside of NYC) one I bought.

Books piled up on the floor now, and the anal retentive neat freak with the OCD inside me is not a happy camper.

Add this to the list of reasons I've switched almost exclusively to PDFs.

Last edited:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
jaerdaph said:
Books piled up on the floor now, and the anal retentive neat freak with the OCD inside me is not a happy camper.
Ah yes, I can't do that anymore cats think books make good scratching posts. I have to build bookcases with lockable doors to keep them out.

rgard

Adventurer
Reveille said:
Unless this is meant for small paperback novels, they aren't going to be of much help with your rpg book collection.

Again, didn't say that was meant for a bookshelf. Was just putting a number out there for Ranger Reg on the cost of lumber.

rgard

Adventurer
Tetsubo said:
As an apartment dweller without any shop space, that isn't much of an option for me...

If you don't mind the "poor man's shelves" label, the cinder block and 2x4 version will not collapse under the weight of your books. Then again, you have to haul the stuff into the apartment and out if you move.

Thanks,
Rich

Rabelais

First Post
My bookshelf is bowed, gonna ignore it, it's only 3 shelves, not that big really. Sweet baby jebus, there's gonna be a crushing blow to my soul if my HD craps out before I back it up. :) Planning on doing so next week.

Rabelais

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Our homes are and were IKEA supplied, at least concerning shelves and so on. And everything stands. For years, now. But as Europeans, we're perhaps closer to the source, so YMMV, if the manufacturing across the pond is different. Though I don't think so.

Cheers, LT.

I heard that IKEA makes houses now! It must take a million years to assemble, what with those tiny little Allen Wrenches they give you.

Ba-rum-bump

Thanks, remember to tip your waitresses... I'll be here all week

Ahzad

Explorer
you could always go the other poor man route like i did for my gaming library. i've used this method for years b/c it's easy to transport or move when you change houses or apartments. i've had friends and family members give me these things all the time over the years. put some planking in between them and they won't bend or break.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads