• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tolkienised DnD

Spyritwind

First Post
Okay ... I know D&D borrowed heavily from Tolkien in the first place, but I am considering running a campaign in middle earth and I would like some of the mechanics to reflect this and not just a map. I'm fairly certain I could do well on my own, but it would be a shame to not glean from others that have done such work already. I imagine the topic was beaten to death long ago.

If any one would post a link to either threads or other websites dedicated to running a D&D campaign in ME please do so. Thank you :)

Galethorn

First Post
Well, the way I see it, there are four options for running a middle earth game...

1. Change the D&D rules yourself. That's the 'hard but d20' option.

2. Use whatever you can from http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/hosted/ME/ (this would be the 'easy d20' option).

3. Try to get some of the old Iron Crown MERP books. That'd be the 'complicated non-d20' option.

4. Try the relatively new LOTR RPG by Decipher. This is the 'easy non-d20' option. CODA (the system that the rpg is in) is a lot like d20, but it uses only 2d6 as the basic task resolution (as opposed to d20, as used in the d20 system). I've run a campaign (errrr...'Chronicle') in the system, and it's pretty good if you don't mind relying on your own judgement as GM (errr...'Narrator') more than you usually do in D&D or other d20 system games. As well, the system is built around an emphasis on story over combat/roleplaying/puzzles/whatever else a game in another system might emphasize.

Quickleaf

Legend
You might give all wizards a staff instead of a familiar. See the "staff familiar" created by
Holder “Purzel” Mueller.

Nightcloak

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
I'd suggest also looking at AUs magister, if you can. They have a staff-familiar type thing.

The magister's staff acts as a focus. It is a requirement for the magister to cast spells. Great flavor idea for a ME campaign!

Remove ads