• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tom LaPille joins D&D R&D

Matt James

Game Developer
If anything him coming to 4E means bad things for an already ailing edition. The only interesting thing I note about this is that WotC considers D&D r&d a place to send people into exile =/

Do you even know what you're talking about? I get banned for calling people out for being turds, but you post drivel and get away with it? C'mon mods =|

I am not an expert in Magic, so I can't speak to specifics of individual card sets, but I can say that no single designer or developer has the power to tank an entire line of any kind of product at WotC, be it RPGs, novels, Magic, or otherwise. Perhaps the Director of all of R&D might share some of the blame for problems, but even then, there are a lot of people that are involved in decision-making, including brand management, technology, finance, Hasbro, and so forth. I will be the first person to tell you when I have no idea what's going on, but I do know what I'm talking about on this matter.

I may not be a MtG expert, but I do know Tom. I know that he deeply cares about the health, future, and success of the game. I also know that he is very passionate about RPGs. He is one of the rare breeds of designer who has equal strengths in both the mechanical and the story-driven aspects of RPG design. And he is not only knowledgeable about and interested in D&D. He has other areas of interest to draw from, such as his background in martial arts, knowledge of Asian culture, and interest in philosophy.

I think Wizards has a very capable person joining RPG R&D in Tom. I think we'll see great things from him.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Further putting to the lie that Tom LaPille ruined magic, consider this article which notes that from 2008 to 2011, Magic sales doubled, due to an 80% increase in player base and a 16% increase in sales/player.

That's an astonishing figure.

Cheers

Remove ads