• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

ddaley

Explorer
I have only read a small part of the adventure, but bet you could figure out an adjustment that would still allow you to run this. Could be something as simple as souls are being captured (as they are in the current adventure as written), but, instead of preventing resurrection, it is preventing them from going to where ever they would normally go. This would probably upset the gods and others enough to still drive the adventure.

So, if you dislike resurrection magic, and have house-ruled that nothing like this exist for close to 20 years.. can you change the premise and still make it work?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
How much of Chris Perkins do you find in this adventure?

Each hard copy comes with a small portion of Chris Perkins. A fingernail clipping, a bit of skin, a slice of his hair, some small part of him. It's in a lovely vial and everything! Alas the digital copies only come with a Polaroid picture of him. But it's a good one, of him as a child ice skating!

Last edited by a moderator:

Each hard copy comes with a small portion of Chris Perkins. A fingernail clipping, a bit of skin, a slice of his hair, some small part of him. It's in a lovely vial and everything! Alas the digital copies only come with a Polaroid picture of him. But it's a good one, of him as a child ice skating!

I got an eyelash. What did you get?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I received several strands of DNA... enough to clone him several times over.

I'm sorry... I mean make a Simulacrum of him several times over. And each one gets to make Wish spells. He's quite overpowered.

Sent from my SM-J320V using EN World mobile app

Huh. In spite of all the hate here for Forgotten Realms, Wizards must be doing something right. Almost like people who frequent forums aren't the center of the RPG world. Weird.

I apologize if my suggestion for Greyhawk came off as FR-hate. A very large (huge) chunk of my gaming shelf contains numerous Forgotten Realms box sets, modules, and adventures spanning 1st, 2nd, 3.0/3.5, and of course 5th.

It has never been suggested that we who post on forums "are the center of the RPG world", but I can speak from experience that I have had personal conversations on these forums with individuals working with and in-charge of Adventurer's League and other developers from other publishing companies. I think it might be safe to assume that WoTC employees may be peaking in from time to time here. If they are, than throwing out a suggestion that may just open the D&D Multiverse (you know .... the default setting of 5th Edition) a little bit more, isn't such a bad idea.

I never suggested to completely end the Realms, but there are tons of storylines to write! One and done books (licensed properly) wouldn't hurt. Suggestions:
1- Mordenkainen is trapped in Ravenloft during CoS. Once word got out on Oerth that he was nowhere to be found .... how has Iuz reacted? What about the Scarlet Brotherhood? Have the current members of The Circle of Eight been able to maintain the balance with their leader missing? With Elemental Evil's failure in Faerun, it would make sense for it to turn it's attention back to Oerth since Mordenkainen isn't there.

2- Remathilis suggested a Planescape adventure book because one could come and go a lot easier than you can from Ravenloft. Are we sure? After what Vecna pulled at the end of 2nd Edition, I think it's safe to assume The Lady of Pain is more watchful of who comes and goes from Sigil and her punishment is probably more severe for even the lowest transgressions (all this to make sure no one tries what Vecna pulled again).

3- Dragonlance wouldn't be a bad place to update either. I've only seen a few comment positively about Krynn on here, but at the end of 3.5 .... Krynn was left in pretty good shape. Takhisis is dead, Paladine walks the land, and pretty much every big name hero/villain is either dead or powerless. The world is ready for PC's to make their mark because there is literally no one left to save the world from the next big threat. Plus, they already updated the Krynn Minotaurs in a Unearthed Arcana.

Again, sorry if my suggestions come off as Realms-hate. I don't hate the Realms .... but I do love the D&D Multiverse more.

Sacrosanct

Legend
While FR has been their default, their APs do have sections on how to use them in all the other settings. I don't see how one could ask them do to more, really. I prefer greyhawk over FR, and it's super easy to still play the AP, especially with the guidance in the AP itself on how to do so.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads