Tomb of Horrors. (The Trinity)

LeStew

Explorer
hey guys~

so my group is playing through the DM rewards version of TOH. Of the things being kicked around for our next game is the TOH Maxi Adventure. In doing some research, I've discovered that Return to The Tomb Of Horrors is essentially part 2 of the story.

So here's my question, would anything be gained by running the entire Return To The Tomb Of Horrors adventure (with a conversion to 4E) in between the TOH DM Rewards, and the TOH4E Maxi Adventure?

No, we're not going to go back to 2E and play it in that system. I'd need to convert it.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I skipped the 2E return to...and references to it...

But it makes total sense, as the 4E book version of it assumes "return to" is cannon.

LeStew

Explorer
If one were to say, oh I don't know, run all three modules in succession? What plot hooks or MacGuffins would you use to keep the game immediate and tense?

If I were to do it, I'd make my players an immortal Seal Team Six. Not wanting to spoil things so I won't go into why. But the party on a mission from the Gods is pretty good.

Return to the Tomb of Horrors (late 2e) reads brilliantly, although I've never actually played it. It has some incredible set pieces, and actually gives a justification for why Acererak created the original tomb.

I do worry that a group that slogs through the 4e DM reward Tomb, the (converted to 4e) Return, and then the 4e mega-Tomb (hardback) is going to be pretty bored by the end, though.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
They probably work best when played 10-20 years apart. :)

Return to the Tomb of Horrors incorporates the original Tomb into its gameplay, so you don't really want to play ToH and then RTTTOH right next to each other.

Although the new 4E Tomb of Horrors incorporates the original Tomb, it does in a cleared-out and decrepit state. (I really like the 4E adventure; I've run three of its four parts so far).

Cheers!

the Jester

Legend
They probably work best when played 10-20 years apart. :)

This.

RttToH works best if the Tomb itself is a legend of deadliness, not something recently cleared out.

The 4e version assumes the history in RttToH has had several years minimum to develop into its current state- probably more like decades or a century or more.

That said, I'm sure the three could be woven together.

Remove ads