Tomb Raider Licensed RPG Announced by Evil Hat Publishing

Lara Croft is coming to tabletops in 2025

Evil Hat Publishing, makers of FATE and Blades in the Dark, have announced an officially licensed RPG based on the Tomb Raider video game franchise starring the iconic character Lara Croft.

tr_tabletop_announce_home.jpg

From the announcement:

Explore hidden tombs and uncover powerful secrets! Defy danger as you race to discover forgotten artifacts and prevent nefarious forces from exploiting them! Race to unearth secret artifacts and forgotten truths in order to save them from the nefarious forces that would exploit them!

Mystery awaits, and sometimes, the answers we seek can only be found in shadow…

In this officially licensed tabletop RPG you play members of the Truth Seekers: contemporaries of Lara Croft who strive to reveal long-hidden knowledge and thwart those who would steal and exploit artifacts for their own gains. It is a game of action, exploration, and self-discovery. Face perilous challenges and tough choices as you learn what it takes to be a hero.

Tomb Raider: Shadows of Truth requires 3-6 players, pencils, paper, the rulebook, and at least six 6-sided dice in order to play.

Your group will collectively create their Team using one of the Team Playbooks and then build individual Team members choosing from the Crafter, Scholar, Hunter, Companion, Legacy, Changed, and Reclaimer. One player, the Keeper of Truths, describes the dynamic and compelling world around the Team as they all make the connections which bring the adventure to life.

Collect Truths and draw upon your Maps, Aid, and Lore to boost your rolls as you race to enter the Final Tomb!

The Truth is hidden. The Truth is dangerous. And in the end, the power of Truth is what we make it.

tr_announce_spreads.jpg

Based on the hit franchise from Crystal Dynamics, Tomb Raider: Shadows of Truth will be a 8.5 x 11 full-color hardcover containing rules, advice, and adventures for both Seekers and Keepers alike. Currently under development in-house at Evil Hat, a public playtest will launch soon and crowdfunding in service of its production is expected in 2025.

To stay tuned to further announcements about the game, including the upcoming playtest, make sure to join the Society of Raiders on the official franchise website here.

Though there hasn't been a new video game in the Tomb Raider franchise since 2018's Shadow of the Tomb Raider, developer Aspyr recently released a remaster of the first three games, Tomb Raider I-III Remaster on PC, PlayStation 4/5, Xbox Series S/X, and Nintendo Switch earlier this month. The only other official tabletop RPG for the Tomb Raider franchise was 2023's Lara Croft's Mark of the Phoenix released as free PDF on the Crystal Dynamics website.

As part of the promotion for the Tomb Raider: Shadows of Truth announcement, Evil Hat has provided a coupon for 20% off of any of their games with the code ENTERTHETOMB during checkout from the Evil Hat store.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

evilhat

Explorer
What a weird way of interacting with the public. Oh well, plenty of other projects to care about.
I'm sorry if the apparent tone of my responses struck you wrong. I'm just not, like, a doormat when it comes to criticism (especially when that criticism appears to come from a stance of authority on an IP while missing stuff that's been a part of the IP for 18 years). I have opinions of my own, and I share them. I'm not a punching bag, and I don't think it's healthy to just quietly take it when folks take swings. But gods, is it boring when folks take those swings.

I'm far more interested in replying to folks' questions about the game and in providing insights into how things have produced the results they're seeing in the announcement and articles. If you look through the entire thread to date, you'll see I did that. So if the public cares to angle for interactions of that far more constructive style, I'm here for it.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I was more pointing out that you're critiquing something on its fidelity to the IP while showing little evidence of an understanding of who's from that IP. The Laura/Lara thing is a footnote to that, not the main point—clearly.
As someone who played the games decades ago, I can confirm that I had a lot of interest in the game in the past. And the recent updates have made me think about it again after a very long time. But, for what it's worth, I'm not talking about "fidelity to the IP," I'm saying that when you have one of the most recognizable characters in the world, making them NOT the focus of the cover for a game is, well that's definitely a bold move.

Honestly that's about all I have to say on the issue, so thanks for engaging with me.

evilhat

Explorer
As someone who played the games decades ago, I can confirm that I had a lot of interest in the game in the past. And the recent updates have made me think about it again after a very long time. But, for what it's worth, I'm not talking about "fidelity to the IP," I'm saying that when you have one of the most recognizable characters in the world, making them NOT the focus of the cover for a game is, well that's definitely a bold move.

Honestly that's about all I have to say on the issue, so thanks for engaging with me.
I hear you, Steve, and thanks for your response. I just happen to disagree with its central assertion, when she's the largest character on the cover and positioned dead center on it. Standing behind your team is not the same as being absent from it.

Ironically, when we took the five characters from the cover (series characters Lara, Jonah, Amanda, and the two original characters representing the Crafter and Hunter playbooks) and rearranged them for various marketing graphics, some of those graphics had her scaled more to the ensemble's side and positioned in front of them. Crystal Dynamics nixed those ones and favored the ones where she was only on the rendered book, or where she was backing the ensemble up. So on some level even if I had pushed for something that would've been more to your liking with the cover artwork, I don't think it would've survived the approvals process.

At any rate, thanks again for coming back to clarify your stance. I understand it better now.

Abstruse

Legend
[...] I'm saying that when you have one of the most recognizable characters in the world, making them NOT the focus of the cover for a game is, well that's definitely a bold move.
I'm the opposite. If I saw a cover that was dominated by Lara Croft and nobody else for a tabletop roleplaying game, my first response would be confusion. "Is this going to be a solo/duet RPG? Because Lara Croft doesn't work as a team and TTRPGs are typically party-based ensembles. Do we play as a group or just one character? Do I get to make my own character or do I have to play as Lara?

Putting other characters on the cover, I think "Okay, there's Lara Croft so this is definitely Tomb Raider the video game and not someone just using the name. And there are other characters so I guess there'll be a selection of characters from the games and spin-offs plus the ability to make my own." Having Lara behind the characters also has the implication that the goal is for my and my friends' characters take the limelight in Lara Croft's world.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm sorry if the apparent tone of my responses struck you wrong. I'm just not, like, a doormat when it comes to criticism (especially when that criticism appears to come from a stance of authority on an IP while missing stuff that's been a part of the IP for 18 years). I have opinions of my own, and I share them. I'm not a punching bag, and I don't think it's healthy to just quietly take it when folks take swings. But gods, is it boring when folks take those swings.

I'm far more interested in replying to folks' questions about the game and in providing insights into how things have produced the results they're seeing in the announcement and articles. If you look through the entire thread to date, you'll see I did that. So if the public cares to angle for interactions of that far more constructive style, I'm here for it.
OK, I can see where you come from and thanks for the reply.

evilhat

Explorer
I'm the opposite. If I saw a cover that was dominated by Lara Croft and nobody else for a tabletop roleplaying game, my first response would be confusion. "Is this going to be a solo/duet RPG? Because Lara Croft doesn't work as a team and TTRPGs are typically party-based ensembles. Do we play as a group or just one character? Do I get to make my own character or do I have to play as Lara?

Putting other characters on the cover, I think "Okay, there's Lara Croft so this is definitely Tomb Raider the video game and not someone just using the name. And there are other characters so I guess there'll be a selection of characters from the games and spin-offs plus the ability to make my own." Having Lara behind the characters also has the implication that the goal is for my and my friends' characters take the limelight in Lara Croft's world.
Right! I've heard it said before that "a cover is a promise", and I try to keep that in mind when working with folks at the Hat to come up with artwork that communicates the promise of the game. The promise here is that you'll play in Lara's world, but that you'll be the stars (whether you're playing as Lara, a series supporting character, or your original concept).

I appreciate the diversity of perspectives, y'all! Just trying to dial folks in on why we did what we did.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ah, so +1 pedantic point for you. You really showed me! Good luck with your game.

What a weird way of interacting with the public. Oh well, plenty of other projects to care about.

Mod note:

No. What a weird way to interact with creators when we get so few of them willing to speak with us directly.

Oh, wait, that kind of rude and entitled approach is WHY we get so few of them willing to speak with us directly.

Folks, you have a rare opportunity here. Don't waste it by being snotty.

Remove ads

Remove ads