• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tome of Battle Monk class?

GreatLemur

Explorer
Kmart Kommando said:
In the book is a set of rules for converting a swordsage to a monk substitute. It may in a sidebar, not sure exactly. They give the monk damage and ditch the armor proficiency, and something else I can't remember right now.
I clearly have to find time to read this book more throughly.

Graf

Explorer
If you want to give a character class with lots of special abilities best bab you're basically creating something (deliberately or not) that is catagorically better than existing core classes.

If you're abandoning balance to that degree you may want to play a more freeform system.

glass

(he, him)
Laman Stahros said:
Swordsage is the monk, as far as I am concerned. The Diamond Mind style is what the monk tries to be. Why not just use it that way?
Agreed. The AoW game I am DMing has a swordsage focussing on unarmed strikes, and he works great.

glass.

Soel

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
In the book is a set of rules for converting a swordsage to a monk substitute. It may in a sidebar, not sure exactly. They give the monk damage and ditch the armor proficiency, and something else I can't remember right now. I really like the monk-ish-but-with-a-weapon-instead flavor of the swordsage.

Its in the Adaptation section under the Swordsage entry. There's also a sorcerer variant.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Graf said:
If you want to give a character class with lots of special abilities best bab you're basically creating something (deliberately or not) that is catagorically better than existing core classes.
Certainly, but I'm also looking to lose a great deal of abilities, specifically the Monk's various mysical and acrobatic abilities, the Fort and Will saves, and even Flurry of Blows. I'm not looking for a better Monk, just a purer martial artist class.

Cavebear

First Post
Maybe you could try a fighter variant that trades all the armour proficiencies for the monk's unarmoured armour class bonuses. The fighter could then spend his feats on improving his unarmed abilities or learning combos, styles and stances imported from elsewhere. He could even use weapons.

Seems to me that this would give you a pure martial artist without any mystic stuff.

Cheers,

Cavebear

Remove ads