• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tome of Magic... what and when

Phaedrus

First Post
I'm sure there's a thread for this already, but I didn't find it.

When is the spell compendium coming out (Tome of Magic is the correct name, right?), and what's in it?

I remember hearing that the PHB spells aren't reproduced. So what is? Is this basically a compilation of the Complete books, Dragon magazine, campaign settings, what?

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Phaedrus said:
I'm sure there's a thread for this already, but I didn't find it.

When is the spell compendium coming out (Tome of Magic is the correct name, right?), and what's in it?

No, the Tome of Magic is a completely different product, due out next April and detailing three different new magic systems.

The Spell Compendium is due out in December and contains over 1000 spells from various WotC sources, all of them updated with a new, more descriptive format and for 3.5 rules.

Matthew L. Martin

Psion

Adventurer
I thought we covered this before. I think some forum members even contributed to this one.

The full title of the product is Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and True Name Magic

As the subtitle suggests, it contains three new magic subsystems, for pact, shadow, and truename magic.

Altalazar

First Post
the Jester said:
Complete Arcane had a wild mage.

Hated it.

Really? I must have missed that. And you hated the new wild mage or the old one? Personally, I liked the wild surges - they could always add some interesting spice to an evening of gaming.

Psion

Adventurer
I think the trouble with the new wild mage is that it was essentially the old wild mage stuffed into a prestige class. They really didn't try to take advantage of the new format or what it offers.

I like ENPub's wild spellcraft for this a bit better.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Spell templates, way cooler. And yeah WotC 3rd edition Wild Mage sucked. Chaos Mage was better but like you said, the newer format could have been done WAY better for Wild Mage. (base spellcaster man.)

Psion

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Spell templates, way cooler. And yeah WotC 3rd edition Wild Mage sucked. Chaos Mage was better but like you said, the newer format could have been done WAY better for Wild Mage. (base spellcaster man.)

I don't think that it deserves to be a base class. Exotic methods of magic seem like just the sort of thing that would evolve from a mage experimenting with new magical techniques.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads