• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Toned down generic spellcaster for low-magic game

whydirt

First Post
This class is for a campaign without a lot of magic items for the characters. It combines ideas from the new Blue Rose game by Green Ronin, recharge magic from UA, and some ideas of my own. The other two classes are the generic Warrior and Expert classes from UA with a few very minor tweaks. The bonus feats every level essentially include those for overall character level (every class gets a feat every level). The list of Simple spells is basically the combined list of Cleric and Druid spells, minus a few that don't fit plus the 2nd level stat boosting spells not on those lists (i.e. Fox's Cunning). The class is only written out to 12th level because my game is going to be more low-powered, and I want to give the impression that levels 13+ are epic and should be treated special (although these levels will use normal rules and not the Epic rules from the DMG).

ADEPT

Abilities: Adepts tend to value mental abilities over physical ones. A high Intelligence increases the number of spells and skills known by adepts. A high Wisdom allows adepts to cast more spells without suffering fatigue, while Charisma determines the actual power of their spells. Good Dexterity and/or Constitution can help an adept survive dangerous situations.
Hit Die: d6.
Favored Skills: The adept chooses any four skills to be class skills, plus Craft, Knowledge and Spellcraft.
Known Skills: 2 + Int modifier (minimum of one skill).

Code:
[B]Table: The Adept[/B]
[B]				         Spells   Maximum
Level   Atk   Def    Saves     Special   Known 	   Level	[/B]
1st 	 +0    +0    +0/+0/+2   Feat	    4	    1st
2nd 	 +1    +1    +0/+0/+3   Feat	    5	     -
3rd 	 +1    +1    +1/+1/+3	Feat 	    6	     -
4th 	 +2    +2    +1/+1/+4 	Feat	    7	    2nd
5th 	 +2    +2    +1/+1/+4 	Feat	    8	     - 
6th 	 +3    +3    +2/+2/+5	Feat        9	     -
7th 	 +3    +3    +2/+2/+5	Feat       10	    3rd 
8th 	 +4    +4    +2/+2/+6 	Feat       11	     -
9th 	 +4    +4    +3/+3/+6	Feat       12	     -
10th 	 +5    +5    +3/+3/+7   Feat       13	    4th
11th 	 +5    +5    +3/+3/+7 	Feat       14	     -
12th 	 +6    +6    +4/+4/+8   Feat       15	     -
Class Features

All of the following are class features of the adept.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Adepts are proficient with all simple weapons but no armor.

Spells: An adept casts spells without having to prepare them ahead of time. An adept's caster level is equal his adept class level plus 1/2 of any other class levels (rounded down). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an adept's spell is 10 + the spell's level + the adept's Charisma modifier.

Every time an adept casts a spell, he must make a Will saving throw against a Difficulty Class equal to 10 + the total spell levels cast by the adept that day (including the spell currently benig cast). If he fails, the adept suffers a level of fatigue, starting with winded. This DC is reset if the adept goes an hour without casting any spells. Certain spells have a recharge period (Unearthed Arcana p. 160-163) that require the adept to wait a certain amount of time before they can be cast again.

An adept's selection of spells is extremely limited. At 1st level, an adept knows a number of 0-level or 1st-level simple spells of your choice equal to four plus his intelligence modifier (with a minimum of one spell known). At each new adept level, he learns one new spell from the list of simple spells, although the adept can learn other spells through the Spell Knowledge feat. The maximum spell level available to be learned by the adept is listed in the table above.

Feats: At each level, an adept selects and gains any one general or mystic feat.

Here's a rough draft of the Spell Knowledge feat I just wrote for this post.

Spell Knowledge [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells
Benefit: Choose any two spells to which you have access (generally Simple spells, plus any spells you have access to due to other feats) and add them to your list of known spells.

Questions? Comments? Criticisms?

GreatLemur

Explorer
Damn, I like this a whole lot. I've actually been thinking of doing something vaguely similar, cannibalizing major elements of Blue Rose's character system, combining them with something like the Black Company magic system and the Conan d20 combat system into something I expect no one but me would want to play.

Anyway, I especially like the fact that levels in other classes can still count towards caster level. Multiclassing will definitely be less painful for Adepts than it is for Wizards.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
I have one critique: seperate out cantrips/orisons. No one will take any under these rules, except maybe detect magic and that grudgingly. More importantly, in such a low-magic game, cantrips should be the most common magic.

How about this: casters gain a number of cantrips equal to the number of other spells known. 4 at 1st level, +1 per level. I would have them not cause a fatigue roll, either, though you may choose to. They shouldn't increase the DC, in any case. I suppose they should have a fatigue roll if you include cure minor wounds; otherwise, healers will just sit for a few minutes and heal their comrades right up.

Otherwise, looks pretty good for a low-powered game. I like the touch of 1 feat/level. Since your progression will obviously be slower, it will give the players something to look forward to when they level up.

whydirt

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
Looks balanced. I'm just amazed you give your PCs a feat every level!

Keep in mind that a single-classed 12th level Wizard would have 9 feats at the same level if you combine their bonus feats with the standard feats for charcter level. The table above combines both the class and character based feats from standard DnD.

Cyberzombie said:
I have one critique: seperate out cantrips/orisons. No one will take any under these rules, except maybe detect magic and that grudgingly. More importantly, in such a low-magic game, cantrips should be the most common magic.

How about this: casters gain a number of cantrips equal to the number of other spells known. 4 at 1st level, +1 per level. I would have them not cause a fatigue roll, either, though you may choose to. They shouldn't increase the DC, in any case. I suppose they should have a fatigue roll if you include cure minor wounds; otherwise, healers will just sit for a few minutes and heal their comrades right up.

Otherwise, looks pretty good for a low-powered game. I like the touch of 1 feat/level. Since your progression will obviously be slower, it will give the players something to look forward to when they level up.

As you mentioned, cantrips are the only spells that don't increase the fatigue check DC with each casting. However, I've though about limiting the adept to a number of spells from each level equal to or less than the level below it. I do like your idea of cantrips being tracked seperately - it gives me something to ponder at the very least.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.

EDIT: I'd be happy to post my other revised classes if there's any interest.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads