• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tongues

roguerouge

First Post
Does "Speak and understand" in the spell description for Tongues mean that you can read any language while the spell is on? Write it?

Dross

Explorer
roguerouge said:
Does "Speak and understand" in the spell description for Tongues mean that you can read any language while the spell is on? Write it?

No, from the SRD:
This spell grants the creature touched the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature, whether it is a racial tongue or a regional dialect. The subject can speak only one language at a time, although it may be able to understand several languages. Tongues does not enable the subject to speak with creatures who don’t speak. The subject can make itself understood as far as its voice carries. This spell does not predispose any creature addressed toward the subject in any way.

The understand in this case refers to the understanding the speach of someone else. Comprehend Languages lets you read the writing, understand what is said, but to not speak the language.

krissbeth

First Post
Okay, now all I have to do is decide whether to waste a spell known on "Comprehend Languages" or waste a skill point on Orcish.

UltimaGabe

First Post
So, now, is there any spell that allows you to write in a language you don't know?

Because everyone claims that Tongues lets you speak and understand any language, but supposedly that only applies to speaking, not writing/reading. (Which, in my opinion, is garbage, since it's three levels higher than Comprehend Languages. Why does it not encompass Comprehend Languages too?) And Comprehend Languages only lets you understand languages, it doesn't let you speak them. So, what do you do if you need to write a letter in Draconic?

frankthedm

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
So, now, is there any spell that allows you to write in a language you don't know?

Because everyone claims that Tongues lets you speak and understand any language, but supposedly that only applies to speaking, not writing/reading. (Which, in my opinion, is garbage, since it's three levels higher than Comprehend Languages. Why does it not encompass Comprehend Languages too?) And Comprehend Languages only lets you understand languages, it doesn't let you speak them. So, what do you do if you need to write a letter in Draconic?
Planar binding something that can write the lanhguae you want, otherwise spend the skill points or get the help of someone who speaks the language.

UltimaGabe

First Post
frankthedm said:
Planar binding something that can write the lanhguae you want, otherwise spend the skill points or get the help of someone who speaks the language.

Honestly, doesn't Planar Binding seem a little excessive?

Jhulae

First Post
UltimaGabe said:

Well, having played a lot of spellcasters, I *definitely* see your line of reasoning. But, in actually comparing the spells, there are some significant differences.

With CL, you only get one language, and you have to physically touch something or someone to *learn* the language for the duration of the spell. Which can be very awkward if you're trying to cast it to overhear your enemie's plans, because no BBEG is going to let you just waltz up and touch him or her, really. And, it's a personal range, so self only.

Tongues allows you to understand *all* languages (but only speak in one) without needing to touch anything. And, you can also cast tongues on other party members, so they can also understand (and, given the reading of the spell) allow the whole party to speak in obscure tongues almost noone is sure to understand (great for keeping your enemies in the dark during combats or whatever).

So, tongues does do a lot more for those two extra spell levels.

Jhaelen

First Post
krissbeth said:
Okay, now all I have to do is decide whether to waste a spell known on "Comprehend Languages" or waste a skill point on Orcish.
I'd 'waste' the skill point(s) - unless you have reason to assume you won't be encountering orcs often in the future...

Remove ads