• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Too much MATH!

3catcircus

Adventurer
It's covering the techniques used by shooters in close quarters battle (e.g., clearing a house or otherwise fighting in tight quarters). Basically, in GURPS, you take a penalty to attack with a gun if you are moving while shooting; the CQB technique lets you spend character points to reduce that penalty.

FWIW, OP, the way to do it is to figure the number out once, and write it down when you write down the gun stats. So if you are using an Barret REC7 (to pick the last gun on the table on p. 63), have Guns (Rifle)-15, and have invested 3 pts in CQB, you might write down, "Barret REC7 (skill 15, CQB-14, 5d+1 pi, Acc 4, Rng 780/3300, ROF 12, shots 30+1, Rcl 2, very reliable)", or whatever.

Or just write down that you've bought off X pts of penalty (where X is 1-4, depending on how many points you spent on CQB) -- that's what CQB lets you do.

The "use the lower of your modified CQB or unmodified shooting skill" just means that you can't have Guns-14, CQB-18, use a gun with a -2 penalty, and fire at (CQB-18 minus 2 equals...) skill 16.

This.

I've encountered similar situations when playing Twilight:2013 - the solution is to have a weapons card with all applicable stuff on it for each weapon you carry. This even works well in 3.x/PF where you could have variables for different feats, etc.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
- Actually tracking encumbrance in any sort of fine detail.

- 2E's varying AC from armor based upon the type of attack.

- Playing a noncaster in a game without magic Walmarts.

- Making an archer in any mid/high level game (ie, flight is common) with pounce available.

Some of these aren't difficult math, they're cases of "the math makes such a thing impossible/impractical in actual play." Not sure if OP wanted just the former, or the latter as well.

Walking Paradox

First Post
- Playing a noncaster in a game without magic Walmarts.

???

FWIW, OP, the way to do it is to figure the number out once, and write it down when you write down the gun stats. So if you are using an Barret REC7 (to pick the last gun on the table on p. 63), have Guns (Rifle)-15, and have invested 3 pts in CQB, you might write down, "Barret REC7 (skill 15, CQB-14, 5d+1 pi, Acc 4, Rng 780/3300, ROF 12, shots 30+1, Rcl 2, very reliable)"... (snip to prevent SAN loss)

Or you could lock the door and handcuff your players to their chairs first in anticipation of them leaving your game in droves before you are even halfway through all this mess.

Games are meant to be played and enjoyed. This. Ain't. It.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I love the idea of rolling for both attacks and parries, but find it to be too much rolling in actual play.

I love the idea of armor absorbing damage, but hate the extra math involved.

I love the idea of critical hit charts and being able to hit exact body locations, but I hate how it slows combat to a crawl.

In short I love the idea of detailed, gritty combat, but I love quick, simple combat a lot more.

This is my sentiment at times. I will play games using those rules when I don't mind long combats such as playing Rolemaster or GURPS because the results can be really fun given the detailed nature of combat. It's only games where there is a lot of "attack, but it was parried" and back-and-forth of that would be kind of frustrating. I found that in a Robotech session that I played one time and with a TMNT game too where everyone was too evenly matched so the combat took a while to slog through.

Argyle King

Legend
???

Or you could lock the door and handcuff your players to their chairs first in anticipation of them leaving your game in droves before you are even halfway through all this mess.

I don't see any difference between calculating stuff ahead of time for my GURPS character and making a cheat sheet for my D&D 4E character upon which I write down what my powers do, their damage, and make notes for myself concern combos of powers I used regularly.

As for Tactical Shooting... it's an optional product which adds extra realistic detail to the game, so I'm not surprised it requires some math. However, as someone who does not currently own the product, I'm actually surprised at how easy the math is. If what the OP describes is it, it sounds like adding and subtracting and then deciding which of two numbers is higher. A few minutes of prep before the game session sounds pretty smooth to me.

coyote6

Adventurer

I have to laugh. I am running a GURPS 4e game because the players insisted on it. So, apparently, this. Is. It. At least for some people.

Though I am more likely to use more from GURPS Gun-Fu than from Tactical Shooting. (And you should see how some people play GURPS, with fractional armor divisors and so forth.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads