D&D 5E Too Much Money

Hey all,

This is my first post, and I'm still a relatively fledgling DM (about 6 months of experience). I've been working on custom material, and I notice that there are a lot of DM questions floating around about money and how abundant it tends to be in 5E. I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring:

I've been customizing and individualizing loot, but for ease of use I started using the 5E DMG tables.
Has anyone severely limited or reduced the amount of money drops in their campaign? It just seems kind of crazy that at Level 4 (when we're in the local hero phase), a deadly big bad can result in multiple years worth of living expenses paid for, not to mention objects, materials, luxuries, etc. For instance, the average lifestyle nets 4gp cost a day, but one group drop at CR5 averages 2,100gp and 105pp?

It seems like 5E routes this by making money less useful to the average adventurer (since you can't buy magical weapons, and are mostly limited to potions and tools) and more for the accountant and micromanager that wants to run a shop, village, mercenary group, stronghold etc. But even that seems a little pointless when you can just roll up into a dangerous dungeon, whomp one baddy and make up any losses you might've made, and reinvest your resources.

TL;DR does anyone have a method for de-inflating the value of money in 5E? I want adventurer to be a profitable job, but not to the point that we'd be talking enough to invest and be set for life from a few dungeons. Especially since they've got quite a few in their future.

Thanks!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I would love adventurers using money to establish ties to the community. Now you can harass not just the pc's but also their investments (presumably things they care about)

Have your PCs encountered a tax agent yet? How do they store their money - can it be stolen? Do they invest it in anything? They should be making cash - the hard part should be holding on to it.

Sadras

Legend
Welcome to Enworld.

The quickest and dirtiest way for them to 'lose some monies' is to introduce them to the taxation rates and any other leviable amounts owed to the lord of the land.

Other areas which siphon money includes but are not limited to - currency conversion, bribes, maintenance/upkeep of clothing, equipment and steeds, purchasing of property, improvement costs, acquisition costs for furniture/fittings, retainer remuneration, custom-ordered armour & clothing, insignia's/tattoos, purchasing of spell components, spells and consumables, research costs, ward payments, family obligations, tithes, guild levies/fees, travel costs, training (this could be instituted as a requirement for level advancement), prostitutes, gifts to loved ones...etc

Be creative ;)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ok, well at 4 GP a day, and say 4 party members, that 2000 gp is going to vanish, fast....

Anyway, in my game here is what I've done. I created a complicated coinage system. I told my players "this won't matter in 99% of cases, don't worry". Then I invented a "currency of account" called the rupee. The rupee is a large silver coin worth 2 sp, or 1 gp = 5 rupees if you prefer. The coin itself is actually quite rare, but it's use as a unit of value. So this donkey might be worth 100 rupees... and you might pay the merchant 200 sp, 20 gp, 100 actual rupee coins, a mixt of coinage whatever, but the *value* is 100 rupees. This makes it pretty easy to use for the players.

Then... switch the gp rewards to the same *number* in rupees. So that noble that is giving the party 500 gp to investigate the bandits? Now it's 500 rupees. Those bandits had 1100 gp in a sack? well now it's a mixture of coins worth 1100 rupees.

However, the *costs* of things stay the same. That 4 gp a day lifestyle is now 20 rupees....

Lastly, remember as a GM that *you decide* if there should be treasure or not. Why on earth would those bandits be well, banditing instead of living the high life for a few months if they had all that money, for example.

TheNoremac42

Explorer
I did the math, y'all!

So let's say we have a "vanilla" party of adventurers. One could assume that an adventurer would think about retiring when they're middle aged, since their bodies are starting to go downhill. Slower reflexes, weaker bones, etc. I've calculated the approximate wealth required for the four vanilla races to retire at middle age based on living expenses.

Human @ age 40
Comfortable: 29,200gp
Wealthy: 58,400gp
Aristocratic: 146,000gp

Dwarf @ 175
Comfortable: 127,750gp
Wealthy: 255,500gp
Aristocratic: 638,750gp

Elf @ 375
Comfortable: 273,750gp
Wealthy: 547,500gp
Aristocratic: 1,368,750gp

Halfling @ 75
Comfortable: 54,750gp
Wealthy: 109,500gp
Aristocratic: 273,750gp

Total @ middle age
Comfortable: 485,450gp
Wealthy: 970,900gp
Aristocratic: 2,427,250gp

That's quite a bit of cash. Naturally, humans don't have to worry about much since we only live a brief 80ish years or so (your experiences may vary) while our elven cousins are fairly high maintenance. Now, what would it take for our group of adventurers to find that one big score and retire? I used the Random Treasure Hoard tables in the DMG to calculate the potential size of a hoard based on challenge rating.

Approximate Maximum Loot in Gold for Hoards (taking average worth of magic item rarity)
CR 0-4: 20,150.5gp
CR 5-10: 36,112.5gp
CR 11-16: 122,001
CR 17+: 210,001

So, assuming our party is virtually flat broke, they will need to raid at least 2 CR 17+ lairs (also assuming the DM rolls max on loot, which is unlikely) in order to retire comfortably. They could also do a handful of relatively safer CR 11-16 BBEGs or a dozen paltry 5-10s.

Keep in mind, this is with rolling MAXIMUM loot and taking in the retail value of magic items. So, at least from where I'm standing, the PCs should be able to retire in comfort after a good few adventures... If they even want to retire, that is!

Lastly, remember as a GM that *you decide* if there should be treasure or not. Why on earth would those bandits be well, banditing instead of living the high life for a few months if they had all that money, for example.

Great point. Other than a wizard's requirement to scribe extra spells in their spellbook there are no systemic requirements for specific gold amounts in the game. It's entirely appropriate to throttle your monetary distributions in whatever method you choose.

CydKnight

Explorer
Have your PCs encountered a tax agent yet? How do they store their money - can it be stolen? Do they invest it in anything? They should be making cash - the hard part should be holding on to it.
Maybe an elaborate heist of the party loot stores while they are out adventuring? You could then design a campaign around finding out who, how, and why as a precursor to attempting to recover the stolen loot. Perhaps even add a twist like being an inside job involving one or more hirelings.

Harzel

Adventurer
You may adjust loot as you see fit - I think most all DMs do. I strongly suggest starting with too little loot rather than too much. IMC loot only occurs where it makes sense, usually with monsters with above animal intelligence. Also, it is not uncommon for 'treasure' to be things that are valuable, but not easily converted to coin. For instance, once the party found the remains of a priest from the local temple who had been lost on an expedition some years ago. Recognizing the symbol he wore, they gathered him up and returned him to the temple. They got goodwill from the temple and a few minor useful items.

DaveDash

Explorer
There can be quite a lot of things to spend money on in game, that isn't spelled out in the books.

Temple donations, buying allies, fixing up taverns after large fights, buying taverns, buying strongholds, deeds, being generous in game etc... The designers have left it up to the DM and the players to decide.

Remove ads