• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Too much?

That One Guy

First Post
So, I was thinking that since traps, skill challenges, and combat all require initiative, could you do all three at once to a party? Or would that quickly become too much? Traps + Combat go hand-in-hand I think. But would all three be too much? What says the forums?

Also, could skill challenges/traps/combat combinations be good for when the party is divided for some reason?

Family

First Post
I say whatever keeps the fun rolling (as in going). Giving the party automatic inititive might sound like a good idea but rolling high or low throws not just a mechanic but some emotion into a gaming night.

On the other hand rolling for every thing as you've listed will likely bog the night down.

I'd make them roll once per "encounter" and then again as fun warrents.

"Everyone roll for inititive." Can bring a curse and smile to players lips at the same time if done well.

That One Guy

First Post
Family said:
I say whatever keeps the fun rolling (as in going). Giving the party automatic inititive might sound like a good idea but rolling high or low throws not just a mechanic but some emotion into a gaming night.

On the other hand rolling for every thing as you've listed will likely bog the night down.

I'd make them roll once per "encounter" and then again as fun warrents.

"Everyone roll for inititive." Can bring a curse and smile to players lips at the same time if done well.

In my mind I was thinking that everyone would roll once on initiative for the super encounter. On their round they could fight, try to avoid/disable the trap, or attempt to fulfill the challenge. AP would allow the ability to tackle multiple obstacles.

I guess there'd have to be a test?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Sounds totally doable to me.

There's essentially four types of encounters: Listed here in order of (degree of) combat-roleplaying. Done well they ALL should have conflict and role-play.

Monster Fight
Trap Fight
Environment Skill Challenge
Social Skill Challenge

Obviously some of these mix-and match, and I don't see why any or all of them couldn't be done at once.

It IS a good idea to have some players involved in one and others involved in another if you've got a split party. (Keeping track of it all might be difficult, but I bet a good DM would do fine with practice.)

I'll give it a try at my earliest opportunity. (Maybe thursday?)

Fitz

That One Guy

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
Sounds totally doable to me.

It IS a good idea to have some players involved in one and others involved in another if you've got a split party. (Keeping track of it all might be difficult, but I bet a good DM would do fine with practice.)

I'll give it a try at my earliest opportunity. (Maybe thursday?)

Fitz

That would be freaking sweet. I'd love to hear how it goes.

Colmarr

First Post
Sounds like a gladiatorial combat to me, with someone standing on the other side of the closed portcullis with their hand on the winch.

The PCs can:

1. Fight the vicious denizens of the arena;
2. Avoid and disable the whirling blades of the death on the walls to climb out; or
3. Somehow persuade Bob to open the portcullis and let them out.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Yeah, you could do all at once.

For example, something along the lines of the final challenge of Return to the Tomb of Horrors could be run that way. Or pretty much any scenario along the lines of 'Stop the mad scientist from completing his diabolical plan while fighting off his minions...' would qualify as traps + skill challenge + combat at the same time.

Wraithdrit

First Post
The main thing that you would have to caution your players about is using skill challenge actions that can be completed in a single action.

In contrast, non-combat mixed skill challenges have a more free form time aspect, not really open ended but you know what I mean.

Vaeron

Explorer
Raiders of Oakhurst (reloaded, at least) features 2 trap/combat encounters in the Stone Table dungeon alone. A pit trap/ambush by kobolds and a crushing boulder/ambush by hobgobby archers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads