• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tools for running D&D over the internet?

JesterPoet

First Post
I'd like to run a game once a month for some friends who are all over the country. Is there decent software that would help facilitate this?

kenobi65

First Post
There are at least two free options for you:

- OpenRPG. It is, by some accounts, not a particularly easy program to get up and running (though some folks seem to have no problem at all). It's used extensively by folks who play the RPGA's Living Greyhawk modules online. It features a die-roller and a mapping utility. However, my understanding (I could be wrong) is that it's not being supported any longer by the folks who wrote it.

- AOL Instant Messenger. Also a free download, and undoubtedly easier to install than OpenRPG. AIM chat rooms do have a built-in die-roller feature, but lack a mapping program. I've played a variety of RPGA games using AIM, and when mapping is a big issue, the DM will make some sort of grid using Excel or something like that. There are some folks who wish to avoid anything made by AOL as if it's Kryponite; I understand that other chat utilities that interface with AIM (such as Trillian) can work, but I'm not positive on this.

Bobitron

Explorer
JesterPoet said:
Wow... that's super cool, but it'd be REALLY expensive for us. $34.95 for the GM and $19.95 for each player... yikes!

I bought it a while back, and I'm pretty impressed. I haven't run a game yet, but I appreciate the quality so far. Well worth it, in my book.

derbacher

Explorer
I'll add a recommendation for OpenRPG. I downloaded and installed it per the site instructions, played with it for a while to learn some of its functions, and played in my first game with it last night. (8 hour session, lasted until 3AM :cool: )

The whole process to get semi-used to it took about three hours, not counting the download time. The best thing is, it's free! :D

JesterPoet

First Post
Bobitron said:
I bought it a while back, and I'm pretty impressed. I haven't run a game yet, but I appreciate the quality so far. Well worth it, in my book.

I dunno. It doesn't really seem worth it to me. If you bought one package for $50 and it included client connections to it, that would be one thing... but to shell out $115 for a GM and 4 players seems a bit over the top to me.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I use Fantasy Grounds

I use Fantasy Grounds all the time and love it.

And I recommend everyone gets the DM version, just in case you ever want to dm yourself.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads