• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tools of Two Trades (Weapliment Expertise) Article Up

Zaran

Adventurer
Does this article feel like it went through any QC before it was released? It almost feels like they just skipped that step and are using us to do that. While I like the fact they are wanting our input I would think someone there would glance over it before throwing it out to us.

Mengu

First Post
We just need one general idea for expertise feats.

With all weapon and implement attacks and with non-weapon non-implement attack powers that scale +2/4/6, you gain a +1/2/3 feat bonus to hit.

Every expertise feat can have the above text. Then add the special benefit, if you're using X, you can do Y.

If a barbarian with a +5 greataxe needs to throw his +3 javelin, is it really necessary to give him a -5 to attack because he doesn't have the proper expertise and proper enhancement bonus? If you're paying your taxes, your attack bonus should be fixed for real. And for the record, inherent enhancement bonuses really ought to be the default not the optional rule.

Mengu

First Post
Or better yet, fix the system so that you don't need expertise feats at all :)

Unfortunately, they mucked up that option when they made powers that scale +3/6/9, the Hunter class that gets free expertise feat, and random feats that give feat bonuses to hit, such as Draconic Spellcaster, Feyborn Charm, and the like.

Neverfate

First Post
This article makes me sad. Like WotC just hires people who have no idea what the game needs or the players want. Which was simple. Things like the new Light Blade Expertise only worked on weapon attacks. You just had to make a feat that had a light blade implement feature. +1 to hit per tier, and +1 to something else for using whatever (light blade, heavy blade) weapon as an implement.

The corner cases that are covered in the article could also have been easily handled by updating ONE feat instead of producing several more feats: Versatile Expertise. They errata everything else. Why not that?

I'm not saying this is the worst article ever written but it just so misses the point of even WotC's "Essentials" line of thinking. Yet it's like "Heavy Blade Implement Expertise" instead of one that just exclusively works for Bards was just SO hard to do. But sure throw in weird pre-reqs and corner cases. That's "streamlined".

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The corner cases that are covered in the article could also have been easily handled by updating ONE feat instead of producing several more feats: Versatile Expertise. They errata everything else. Why not that?

The new philosophy in Expertise seems to be that you get a kicker in addition to scaling bonus. We'd have to find a kicker that benefits all classes who might use weapons and implements. Maybe the "ranged and area attacks don't provoke?"

Remove ads