• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tooltips for your D&D Compendium links

Psikus

Explorer
I've been working on a script to show powers (or items, feats, etc.) as tooltips when you have a link to D&D Compendium on your site. It's still a bit rough, though, so I wouldn't mind some feedback about bugs, ways to improve it, and the like.

You can find a demo here. Note that you'll need to be a DDI subscriber, or you'll just see the login box. Also, I can't seem to make it work for Explorer right now, though I'm working on it ;)

If it turns out well, I'll make a post with instructions for adding this feature to other sites, as soon as I make some improvements on the code.

fissionessence

First Post
That's pretty awesome. Now I wish I had a website that would be good to use it on :)

That would be cool if the code could somehow check to see if the user was logged in to DDI, and only display the popups if they were.

~

Bagpuss

Legend
I've been working on a script to show powers (or items, feats, etc.) as tooltips when you have a link to D&D Compendium on your site. It's still a bit rough, though, so I wouldn't mind some feedback about bugs, ways to improve it, and the like.

You can find a demo here. Note that you'll need to be a DDI subscriber, or you'll just see the login box. Also, I can't seem to make it work for Explorer right now, though I'm working on it ;)

If it turns out well, I'll make a post with instructions for adding this feature to other sites, as soon as I make some improvements on the code.

The float over is nice, it just falls down because so many things are too big to be useful and you need to login first (which times out far too quickly [not your fault that]). Handy for glossary, individual powers, but anything but minions you tend to not get all the information.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think you can get rid of the horizontal scrollbar by making the hidden div 18 pixels wider.

Otherwise, very nice!

Cheers, -- N

Psikus

Explorer
I think you can get rid of the horizontal scrollbar by making the hidden div 18 pixels wider.

I've just enlarged the tooltip boxes so that you should be able to view most stuff (other than races and classes) without scroll bars. There's still no easy way to scroll when you need to, though.

By the way, is anybody able to see this working on Explorer? For me, the script works offline, but doesn't display anything when I run it on blogger. I think it's because of some security setting, and I have Explorer 8 installed (so I havent been able to check if this happens on previous versions, too).

As for other suggestions, right now I'm unable to check for DDI logins - or anything inside the tooltip, for that matter. I'd really like to modify the tooltip format (use smaller fonts, to start with), but that might not be possible, either :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads