• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Top Gear

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
I thought it was the Merc that was overpriced? :p Weren't they astounded by the number of old Mercs knocking around Albania?

My favorite episode was the Vietnam Special, priceless.

nerfherder

Explorer
Bentley didn't give you much for the money ;)

Heh! Yeah, I assume Bentley left TG high & dry at the last minute so the production team thought they'd get some revenge and embarrass them - like the guest (Roy Hattersley) who didn't turn up for HIGNFY, so they replaced him with a tub of lard.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I stumbled across my first episode of theirs a little over a year ago. It was the challenge where they raced from the UK to Oslo: Clarkson in a MacLaren Merc and Hammond & May by any other form of transport. I was hooked by the humor and chutzpah, and I've enjoyed it whenever I can catch it on BBCA.

Than

First Post
Myself and my wife simply love top gear. Really it's one of the few things that actually makes me laugh out loud lots, and I actually feel better at the end of an episode for it.

And funny thing is I have absolutely no interest in cars but simply love the porgram.

Than

First Post
Ah also forgot to mention we get the BBC where I live, and will watch the latest episode, it's on tomorrow at 8pm GMT

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Vietnam episode was hilarious! I also just re-recorded the Albanian Mafia episode, in part because I have a weakness for Volvos.

My parents had 2 240DLs in succession, a 1976 and a 1980 model, and the 76 was the first car I got to drive. It was a solid blue TANK that just kept going. As an adult, I've personally owned an 850 and an S60. (Currently, though, I drive an 08 Accord.)

So I was utterly mesmerized by the C30 PCP. *drool* Even though I can't drive a stick- when I asked to learn, no one stepped up- I love that car!

(and most of the ones on the show)

Wycen

Explorer
I have managed to watch parts of most of 4 or 5 of the American Top Gear shows.

Two of the hosts are alright. The pudgy guy with the beard and the middle guy who looks kinda like Apollo from BSG are ok. It is the 3rd guy from Jersey or from New York or wherever that screws up the chemistry. According to the wiki he's a comedian.

As far as the supercar nobody could start,

I vaguely recall something about a few cars that couldn't/wouldn't start, wasn't Captain Slow driving one of them? Oh, maybe I'm confusing a recent road trip they did with older cars...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nah- this thing just had such oddball controls that it was ridiculous. As I recall, Clarkson asked random crewmembers to get in the car and start it. That was the test.

As I recall, the fastest time was more than 7 minutes, and involved many activations of headlights and wipers before the rumble of an engine was heard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads