Torchbearer 2e - actual play of this AWESOME system! (+)

pemerton

Legend
The scale of what makes an adventure tick is so much smaller than what you need for other games
Just a comment on this: I feel that we get through quite a bit of content in our sessions, but that is not just, or even primarily, "room" content. There are the "mundanities" of cooking and foraging, all the social stuff, and then in town phases the little "mini-adventures" like Golin getting inducted into the Void Kult.

Nytmare

David Jose
Just a comment on this: I feel that we get through quite a bit of content in our sessions, but that is not just, or even primarily, "room" content. There are the "mundanities" of cooking and foraging, all the social stuff, and then in town phases the little "mini-adventures" like Golin getting inducted into the Void Kult.
Deep meaningful conversations about how the walls of the hallway might have been made and where the stone would have come from. An exciting discussion about a tub of butter and the crestfallen despair when the halfling rolls poorly and discovers that it's gone rancid. A quick aside which turns into a full adventure exploration of the hieroglyphs that you added at the last second in your description of a forgotten altar.

pemerton

Legend
Yesterday afternoon I did my first campaign mapping for a while (since I wrote up star maps for Traveller).

I copied a 16 x 14 hex area of the GH map onto a sheet of hex paper I found in my cupboard - from the SW of the Bluff hills across to Calbut and the Griff Mountains, down to Stoink in the bottom left corner and the tip of the Gamboge Forest in the bottom right. I then marked on our settlements and adventure locations - the Wizards's Tower and Forgotten Temple Complex, the village of Nulb, and the Tower of Stars, the Moathouse and Mim's Dell. A week or so ago I was looking through the Iuz the Evil supplement and learned about the Pentress fortresses, and so also added Dour Pentress as a Religious Bastion at the edge of the Troll Fens.

This morning I wrote up a settlement list:

*Calbut - Borderland Fortress

*Riftcrag (including the five Leering Keeps on the N edge and E end of the Rift Canyon) - Borderland Fortress

*Dour Pentress - Religious Bastion

*Ogburg - Religious Bastion

*Wintershiven - Walled Town

*Rookroost - Walled Town

*Midmeadow - Busy Crossroads

*Nevond Nevnend - Busy Crossroads

*Redspan - Busy Crossroads

*Radigast City - Dilapidated Port

*Stoink - Bustling Metropolis​

The relative change in significance of Rookrost and Stoink, compared to canonical Greyhawk, reflects events in my RM campaign about 30 years ago, when one of the PCs carried an extremely virulent plague into Rookroost.

The choice to have Stoink as a Bustling Metropolis was made back in the second session of this Torchbearer campaign: I wanted the players to be able to take their PCs to a Hotel, for recovery purposes, and for reasons that now escape me opted for Stoink for this purpose. But it's not a terrible idea, given the geography.
aaMap 1.JPG

Nytmare

David Jose
What I have been having a BLAST doing, is using Mordite Press' "Vagrant's Guide to Surviving the Wild" and using it to populate the empty areas of my map. I've modified thing minusculely but the framework they have is awesome.

Essentially what it does is turns overland travel into a Conflict where the Journey's HP are the number of hexes the group is trying to travel. If they're travelling through unknown terrain, I roll on a set of charts to figure out what might be out there, and if the players end a round having dealt damage, they escape whatever that threat is, and I roll for a new one. If they whittle down all the HP, they arrive at their destination.

pemerton

Legend
What I have been having a BLAST doing, is using Mordite Press' "Vagrant's Guide to Surviving the Wild" and using it to populate the empty areas of my map. I've modified thing minusculely but the framework they have is awesome.

Essentially what it does is turns overland travel into a Conflict where the Journey's HP are the number of hexes the group is trying to travel. If they're travelling through unknown terrain, I roll on a set of charts to figure out what might be out there, and if the players end a round having dealt damage, they escape whatever that threat is, and I roll for a new one. If they whittle down all the HP, they arrive at their destination.
I bought a whole lot of their stuff a few weeks ago, and I think I have this. But my players are accustomed to their journeys and their toll!

Remove ads