• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Totally underwhelmed by 5e bladesinger, am I missing something?

neogod22

Explorer
Multi-class slows spell progression.

How do I think it's overpowered? OK I'll take my character for example at level 8.
+2 studded leather with an 18 in both DEX and INT. He has a natural AC of 17, bladesong 21, shield, 26. I reserve all 4 1st lvl slots for shield, and 2nd lvl if the need arises (never actually happened). I do have mirror image and blink, neither requires concentration which means I can make it impossible to hit me, or even target me. If need be I can also stack protection from evil and good to give disadvantage to the rolls. In other words, I have no problem in melee combat. I do have offensive spells if the need arises to sit back and not melee, but why do that when it's so much fun frustrating the DM who can't hit you? BTW my sword attacks do 1d8+5 each, which isn't too bad.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Being harder than average to hit only becomes OP if you also hit harder than average.

you sacrificed all your 1st level spells for being that hard to hit. That is called having a narrow niche.

Other wizards are killing things. Tomelocks with shillelagh and any scag cantrip are hitting harder and have quite good defense by taking an invocation, and still have spells to use. Arcane tricksters are just as hard to kill, and do ALot more damage, without burning all their 1st level spells, and still have be fun rogue stuff.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Lol you literally are. In order to have that 27 AC reliably, you are burning all your 1st lvl slots on it.

It is fine, but you will often be better of accepting some risk of being hit to actually use those slots for offensive spells. And you aren't better off overall than most other characters. It ain't OP.

neogod22

Explorer
1st the have to get over a 22, 2nd, you're not looking at a whole lot of magical power from a 1st lvl spells.

neogod22

Explorer
I'm going to do more damage with 2 sword attacks or green flameblade than 1 attack with magic missile or chromatic orb, and those attacks do not use a spell slot.

Multi-class slows spell progression.

How do I think it's overpowered? OK I'll take my character for example at level 8.
+2 studded leather with an 18 in both DEX and INT. He has a natural AC of 17, bladesong 21, shield, 26. I reserve all 4 1st lvl slots for shield, and 2nd lvl if the need arises (never actually happened). I do have mirror image and blink, neither requires concentration which means I can make it impossible to hit me, or even target me.

Leaving aside the +2 armor, youve committed all 1st level spells and a 2nd level spell for shield, without taking into account the spells used for mirror image and blink (at least 2 more 2nd level spells, both of which only last for the single encounter, and take two rounds to get 'up').

Congratulations. You're an 8th level Wizard who has a high AC, wastes two round self buffing in your first encounter of the day, and contributes nothing to the groups success with his 1st and 2nd level spells.

Over a standard 6-8 encounter adventuring day, you'll run out of juice after two or three encounters, doing not much more other than self buffing during those encounters.

If need be I can also stack protection from evil and good to give disadvantage to the rolls.

Yet another slot dedicated to self defence, and yet another wasted round (and concetration slot).

While youre spending 2-3 rounds self buffing, a normal Wizard is lobbing in a scorching ray, web, hold person, sleep or fireball and winning the encounter for the party.

In other words, I have no problem in melee combat. I do have offensive spells if the need arises to sit back and not melee, but why do that when it's so much fun frustrating the DM who can't hit you? BTW my sword attacks do 1d8+5 each, which isn't too bad.

1d8+5 damage at 8th level? If I was your DM Id just walk away from you (take your AoO) and attack someone else.

After you wasted several rounds and multiple spell slots self buffing of course.

I get that you can get your AC up the wazoo after several rounds of expending precious spell slots that are better served actually contributing to the encounter during the vital first few rounds, but to what end?

neogod22

Explorer
Again, I'm still a wizard and can change my tactics depending on the situation. I don't always or have to go all out on self defense, but when I need to I can, sure I can lob spells, and nothing stops me from sitting back and doing that, but I don't have to, and that's the point.

Remove ads