• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Touch attack for Evard's Black Tentacles?

fujaiwei

First Post
Do Evard's Tentacles need a melee touch attack first? Or, do they skip that step and move directly to the opposed check.

My DM think's Evard's is extremely overpowered. What do you all think?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I don't have a search function. Thanks.

Thanee

First Post
No touch attack.

Yes, it's a very powerful spell, I wouldn't go as far to call it overpowered, but it definitely is in the top range for its level.

Bye
Thanee

fujaiwei

First Post
Thanee said:
No touch attack.

Yes, it's a very powerful spell, I wouldn't go as far to call it overpowered, but it definitely is in the top range for its level.

Bye
Thanee

How do you justify it not being overpowered? I feel more than a bit biased, as it's my favorite spell. I keep ruining my DM's day in Return to the Temple of E. Evil. ;) It almost seems overpowered because (as we were doing) there's no touch attack, no SR, no save. It kills clerics (no dimension door), rogues (too weak) and just about everything medium sized. I'm almost agreeing with him.

Thanee

First Post
Not really different to a fighter grappling them.

Some creatures/characters are simply not very well-suited for grappling. ;)

But you can still cast some spells (few enough, of course, unless you prepared them with Still Spell), or escape with a good roll, it's not like the grapple check was virtually unbeatable, as it is with some monsters. Clerics, for example, have Freedom of Movement to completely negate the spell, or could be buffed with Divine Power and stand more than a good chance to make the grapple check. Rogues could escape with Escape Artist.

And the damage the spell does is pathetic. It takes ages to kill something with it alone. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Nail

First Post
Yep. And they are usually size large or bigger. ....and the higher level wizards and clerics have extra-dimensional travel options.

Rogues are still screwed. ...but ain't that always the case?

Right now (level 7?), you've got that +8 "kicker" added to your caster level (for grapple checks). That's what makes the spell nasty. In a few levels, that +8 won't seem quite as large.

fujaiwei

First Post
Thanee said:
Not really different to a fighter grappling them.

But you can still cast some spells (few enough, of course, unless you prepared them with Still Spell), or escape with a good roll, it's not like the grapple check was virtually unbeatable, as it is with some monsters. Clerics, for example, have Freedom of Movement to completely negate the spell, or could be buffed with Divine Power and stand more than a good chance to make the grapple check. Rogues could escape with Escape Artist.

And the damage the spell does is pathetic. It takes ages to kill something with it alone. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanks a bunch. I'll pass this on to my DM. He'll be happy to have a way to defeat Evard's Godlike Tentacles, as he calls them.

Nail

First Post
Thanee said:
Oh, come on, Thanee. ;)

This spell doesn't just grapple one creature. It grapples groups, and even a Ftr 8 will be challenged by a +16 opposed grapple check.

Nail

First Post
fujaiwei said:
Thanks a bunch. I'll pass this on to my DM. He'll be happy to have a way to defeat Evard's Godlike Tentacles, as he calls them.
Freedom of Movement is not a very practical way of dealing with EBT.

Try again.

Remove ads