• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Touch attack for Evard's Black Tentacles?

Ninja-to

First Post
I'm the DM mentioned... ;)

Freedom of Movement won't work unless it's already in place. Can't cast it becuase it requires somatic components. Same with Divne Power.

Rogues can try to use Escape Artist, but I've yet to see a PC or even NPC that has skills in it.

IcyCool

First Post
Nail said:
Oh, come on, Thanee. ;)

This spell doesn't just grapple one creature. It grapples groups, and even a Ftr 8 will be challenged by a +16 opposed grapple check.

+16? *scratches head*

+4 for Str 19, +4 for large. I only get +8, where are you getting the extra +8 from?

Also, a rogue that is grappled can make an escape artist check to escape the grapple. So rogues aren't totally hosed.

Nail

First Post
IcyCool said:
+16? *scratches head*

+4 for Str 19, +4 for large. I only get +8, where are you getting the extra +8 from?

Any easy mistake to make:

"Treat the tentacles attacking a particular target as a Large creature with a base attack bonus equal to your caster level and a Strength score of 19. Thus, its grapple check modifier is equal to your caster level +8. "

IcyCool said:
Also, a rogue that is grappled can make an escape artist check to escape the grapple. So rogues aren't totally hosed.
How many rogues have greater than a +16 on their Escape artist check? IME, not many.

fujaiwei

First Post
Nail said:
Yep. And they are usually size large or bigger. ....and the higher level wizards and clerics have extra-dimensional travel options.

Rogues are still screwed. ...but ain't that always the case?

Right now (level 7?), you've got that +8 "kicker" added to your caster level (for grapple checks). That's what makes the spell nasty. In a few levels, that +8 won't seem quite as large.

My party is 8-10th level (mine at 10th), so I guess we're at the peak of its usefulness/brokenness.

About Freedom of Movement & Divine Power, they don't seem to help you if you're already caught in the grapple. Since they have a somatic component, you can't cast it right? Short of using a wand or staff I guess.

Nail

First Post
fujaiwei said:
About Freedom of Movement & Divine Power, they don't seem to help you if you're already caught in the grapple. Since they have a somatic component, you can't cast it right?
Exactly.

Nail

First Post
Ninja-to said:
Freedom of Movement won't work unless it's already in place. Can't cast it becuase it requires somatic components. Same with Divne Power.

Rogues can try to use Escape Artist, but I've yet to see a PC or even NPC that has skills in it.
Yup.

Sucks.

Ninja-to

First Post
Also one thing about the damage... if you wait long enough, damage from Evards is insane.

At 10th level, your fireball does 10-60 damage. Evards: 1d6+4 = 60-100 damage at 10th level. Granted, the damage is slow to act, but it is very, very unlikely any spellcaster not prepared, or Rogue / Cleric caught in the area has any hope of getting out. They'll most likely be there until they die, or take the base damage of 60 and the rest is bonus.

IcyCool

First Post
Nail said:
Any easy mistake to make:

"Treat the tentacles attacking a particular target as a Large creature with a base attack bonus equal to your caster level and a Strength score of 19. Thus, its grapple check modifier is equal to your caster level +8. "

Ahh, that's it. I was thinking you were giving the tentacles a +16 bonus to their grapple check, not a +16 total. I'm not sure why I got that silly idea in my head.

Nail said:
How many rogues have greater than a +16 on their Escape artist check? IME, not many.

Most rogues I've seen have more skill points than they know what to do with. As Escape Artist is a great way to get out of a grapple, I've seen several rogues drop plenty of points into it. I've never seen one get to +16, mainly because I've not seen a rogue go that high level-wise (I've predominantly played lower level games).

Thanee

First Post
Of course, the spells I mentioned need to be in place, but they are common spells to have in place at the start of a combat, so that's not so unlikely to happen.

Escape Artist is a good skill, if you are otherwise hosed in a grapple. Of course, Use Magic Device with an appropriate wand will also work. ;)

Speaking of wands... you can still use them just fine (and basically all other magic items, except scrolls) in a grapple.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads