• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Touch attack for Evard's Black Tentacles?

Nail

First Post
IcyCool said:
Ahh, that's it. I was thinking you were giving the tentacles a +16 bonus to their grapple check, not a +16 total. I'm not sure why I got that silly idea in my head.
No prob....I wasn't crystal clear either.

IcyCool said:
Most rogues I've seen have more skill points than they know what to do with.
Well.....IME, rogues spend 'em quickly. They need[/i] hide, move silently, spot, search, listen, and tumble - no questions asked - and most would like some bluff, disable device, open locks, etc. Of course, YMMV, and there are lots of different choices. I'm currently gaming with a PC who has a Rog 12/Ftr 2.....and his Esc. Artist is +12 (IIRC).

two

First Post
It's definately the most powerful attack/movement inhibiting spell of its level.

I have NO idea why more PC's don't use it. I think it's becuase in 3.0 it was SUCH a pain to adjudicate...lingering feelings of "I don't wanna deal with all that stuff" or something.

As noted, it "automatically" cripples rogues, clerics, and bards sands "freedom of movement" or crazy escape artist skill.

It has a good shot (often 50% or better) at stopping full-BAB types for a round or two, particularly at mid-levels.

It forces arcane casters to prepare DimDoor and make a pretty high concentration check -- not terribly tough, but not easy either.

Now drop an Evard's followed by a Silence spell and EVERYONE is screwed. Well, at least 95% of the time.

Drop an Evard's, followed by Silence, followed by Acid Fog and pretty much everything in the area of effect of all 3 spells is going to die by slow but steady increments. It's a fun tactic to pull off with 2 arcane casters and a cleric.

Thanee

First Post
An average Cleric or Rogue will have a grapple check of +10 or so at 8th level. +16 is tough, but hardly unbeatable, and you only need to succeed once to be free. The tentacles do not grapple you again, unless you leave and re-enter the area.

Bye
Thanee

Nail

First Post
Thanee said:
Of course, the spells I mentioned need to be in place, but they are common spells to have in place at the start of a combat, so that's not so unlikely to happen.
Err? Could be, I guess, but not IME. And my players know my monsters grapple. They are usually more worried about AC, Atk, Dam, etc.......

fujaiwei

First Post
Thanee said:
An average Cleric or Rogue will have a grapple check of +10 or so at 8th level. +16 is tough, but hardly unbeatable, and you only need to succeed once to be free. The tentacles do not grapple you again, unless you leave and re-enter the area.

Bye
Thanee

Good point. That makes it more manageable, the number difference isn't quite so large. But yeah, Dim. Door is necessary to have prepared.

Question: Have any of you changed Evards, and if so, how?

Ninja-to

First Post
Nail said:
Err? Could be, I guess, but not IME. And my players know my monsters grapple. They are usually more worried about AC, Atk, Dam, etc.......

Yeah same here. Freedom of Movement is usually used for underwater combat IME.

Ninja-to

First Post
Thanee said:

Bye
Thanee

Their BAB is +6/+7. If they have higher strength scores, they'll need like 18 Str to get it to +10, which is still pretty bad. +10 vs +16 is quite a difference, and that's probably the best possible circumstance.

Thanee

First Post
Oops! In fact I meant to write +8 not +10. :heh:

Anyways, all you need is one good roll to break free. Or be prepared for such occasions. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Nail

First Post
If you'd like (and after I teach my class), I could post the probabilities of escaping an EBT, for any level, combo, etc. It's not a large file, just 20-odd numbers.

Ninja-to

First Post
Nail said:
If you'd like (and after I teach my class), I could post the probabilities of escaping an EBT, for any level, combo, etc. It's not a large file, just 20-odd numbers.

That might prove informative at least ;).

Remove ads