• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Touch Screen

dema

First Post
I have been thinking about getting a lap top. I was considering a touch screen lap top because I like to browse the WEB, and click on things. I am considering getting a touch because I am considering getting a gaming group together and I think it may be useful to run games. DOES ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH TOUCH SCREEN LAPTOPS????

THANKS VERY MUCH ++

Merkuri

Explorer
I have a tablet PC, which I think is what you're referring to. It's a laptop that comes with a stylus, or you can use the regular keyboard and mouse combo. I like it because it's small and easy to use to browse the web and whatnot, but I'm so much faster typing than I am writing so unless it's something very short I always switch back to keyboard mode to write anything. I don't have any experience running games with it, but it's great for web surfing and it's pretty easy to run Civ III with the tablet (until it comes to trading gold with another country where you have to type the numbers).

Not really sure what else to say about it... do you have any specific questions?

Ranger REG

Explorer
I just got a laptop this year, and now after seeing previews of what Windows 7 can do, I want a portable touch-screen version, though not a full-on tablet PC.
Can't trust them when there is only one hinge connecting the screen to the rest of the laptop (keyboard,cpu, etc.).

BTW, do you really need the stylus for everything, or can you use fingers (or toes) for some of the touch-screen features?

Merkuri

Explorer
I've never had a problem with the "one hinge" thing. My tablet has been very resilient. No signs of wear on the central hinge.

As far as I know you actually need the stylus, at least for the version I have. I don't recall it ever responding to fingers. Mine came with two stiluses, one that's the size of a regular pen and one that's small like a PDA stilus and slides into a slot on the screen. I can understand why some people would want a pen-sized one, but I don't mind the tiny stilus and that's usually the one I use because it's one less thing I have to remember when I'm grabbing my laptop since it's always snapped into the screen when I'm not using it. The actual pen-sized one I'm prone to losing.

Edit: I should probably mention that I have an Acer TravelMate. I don't recall the model number but I know they don't make my particular model anymore. It's a few years old now.

dema

First Post
I was actually referring to a touchscreen where you can use your fingers. I just was wondering about the ease of use, how responsive it is, can you use it to draw maps, track combat, and keep a host of images and sounds to use in game. I was looking at an HP model that runs a bit under 900 for the basics and you can flip it open like a laptop or use it as tablet type laptop.

EDIT: This is the one I was looking at HP Pavilion tx2500z series.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
I was actually referring to a touchscreen where you can use your fingers. I just was wondering about the ease of use, how responsive it is, can you use it to draw maps, track combat, and keep a host of images and sounds to use in game. I was looking at an HP model that runs a bit under 900 for the basics and you can flip it open like a laptop or use it as tablet type laptop.

EDIT: This is the one I was looking at HP Pavilion tx2500z series.
Meh. As great as those all-in-one PCs, I prefer the traditional monitor and CPU tower combo, in case I want to upgrade certain hardware.

If HP offers touchscreen monitors for their existing PC models, I'd jump at the chance.

Pyrex

First Post
BTW, do you really need the stylus for everything, or can you use fingers (or toes) for some of the touch-screen features?

Most portables labeled as Tablet PC's require the stylus. The stylus has chips in it that a layer under the display reacts to. (I think they're basically RFID chips)

A few (mostly marketed as UMPC's) are actually touch sensitive and you can use fingers/toes/whatever.

If HP offers touchscreen monitors for their existing PC models, I'd jump at the chance.
Touchscreen monitors definitely exist. But touchscreen only really works well if you can bring the monitor in a horizontal position, otherwise relying on touch is to strenous. Tablet PCs obviously support this well. But the touchscreen monitors (I think from HP) I saw on the PDC definitely could be set to a very flat angle, and I suppose that's sufficient.
Oh, and of course - Microsoft Surface is obviously flat.

Remove ads