• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tough Minion variation

Zinovia

Explorer
More rounds leads to more choices, but with 6 PC's it also takes a significant amount of time to run each round. I wanted to shave the number of rounds that at least some of the fights take. Too many "easy" fights were taking a disproportionate amount of time out of the sessions. In this case it was 4 real rounds, with the 5th hand-waved because the PC's all went before the sole remaining creature. That seems like reasonable number for a fight of medium difficulty.

Reducing tracking is one way to make each round just a bit faster. I'm working on having the bad guys go faster as well, since that's under my control. I need to take the time in advance to make up a quick tactics writeup so I have a good idea of what the bad guys will do and which powers they will use. I take too long making that decision during combats right now.

As for the players, I am not at the point where I've broken out a timer on them, and I'd prefer not to. This is a casual game, not a tournament. It's funny that the subject did come up last time as an aside (I think my son mentioned it), and I replied that in some ways I supported using a timer. I said something like "You're in combat, there's not time to make the optimal decision and plan everything out in detail. You have to react quickly, so if you don't know what you want to do quickly, your turn will be delayed until you decide.". The players looked kind of worried by that. The mention of it (I won't go far as to say "threat" since I never said I'd use a timer), seemed enough to make them aware of how long they are taking in decision-making.

Rachel

First Post
As for the players, I am not at the point where I've broken out a timer on them, and I'd prefer not to. This is a casual game, not a tournament. It's funny that the subject did come up last time as an aside (I think my son mentioned it), and I replied that in some ways I supported using a timer. I said something like "You're in combat, there's not time to make the optimal decision and plan everything out in detail. You have to react quickly, so if you don't know what you want to do quickly, your turn will be delayed until you decide.". The players looked kind of worried by that. The mention of it (I won't go far as to say "threat" since I never said I'd use a timer), seemed enough to make them aware of how long they are taking in decision-making.

I'm not the sort of player to take alot of time to choose what she wants to do...I try to keep up on other players turns and think ahead, which saves time. Also, I more times than not go with whatever power seems fun and flavorful at that very moment. But for a slower group, and for the purposes of adding tension...I like your timer idea (as a player I would find that a fun challenge trying to beat the clock, although I wouldn't want the DM to be too unforgiving if I didn't make each and every choice optimally).

Nytmare

David Jose
The way I deal with tough minions in my game is:

• Any 1[w] or static damage attack - 1 hit
  • Any 2+[w] attack, crit, or bonus damage dice of any kind - 2 hits

Pyrex

First Post
We tried something very similar to this during our game this week. We were assaulting a keep full of Ogres, and the "minion" ogres were 3 hits or 20hp.

It's worth noting that even with three L10 strikers in the party (melee ranger, archer ranger, barbarian); only the Barbarian stood much of a chance of one-shotting with his At-Wills. (but the Rangers could reliably hit twice with Twin Strike and thus mark off two fo their three hits)

Remove ads