• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tough variant

Ganders

Explorer
I was kinda shocked today to see that Tough is the second most popular feat.

I've been wondering about something for awhile now: would a half-feat verson of Tough be good or bad for the game? I don't mean replacing Tough, I mean keeping Tough but also adding a new feat. Something exactly halfway been taking Tough or just taking +2 Con. It would look like this:

Sturdy: Raise your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20. Your hit point maximum increases by an amount equal to your level. This increase does not stack with the increased hit points from Tough.

Obviously, this would be for characters with an odd Con score rather than an even Con score. Do you see anything wrong with making this an option? Is there any good reason not to allow it?

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I think this change makes the feat much more circumstantial. It's either strictly better or strictly worse than increasing your Con score depending on whether your current Con is even or odd. That's generally not great for balance as it can noticeably penalize you for not using an optimal ability score spread.

Remove ads