• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Toughness - how is this feat not totally worthless?

Chupacabra

First Post
So let me get this straight, I give up one of my character's precious feat slots for a lousy three hitpoints? Not an extra 3 per level, or even one per level, just a one time infusion of a measly three?

For such a bad-ass sounding feat (that's unfortunately a prerequisite for a number of prestige classes) it sure seems pretty worthless.

Does anyone actually take this feat for anything other than its prerequiste status (like why the heck anyone takes Power Attack other than to get to Cleave)? Does anyone modify it via house rules?

Last edited:

Flyspeck23

First Post
It is kind of worthless, but for a low-level low-con wizard it makes all the difference. Of course even this wizard would be better off taking something else.

I don't think it's wrong having a "prereq-feat", though.

Btw, power attack isn't worthless. Just ask your friendly neighborhood greataxe barbarian.

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
Maybe make it a house rule to roll a 12-sider. Might be a little unbalancing, but a lot more tempting (or water it down to a 6-sider or something).

Cleave is only valuable with two or more enemies, while power attack is always your friend. I've seen some massive damage done with characters utilizing power attack, starting around 5th or 6th level...

Darklone

Had a level 1 sorcerer with greataxe and Toughness in one of my games. Loved him. Silly big strong muscled idiot. Very charming though.

The 11 hitpoints at level 1 helped him a lot to survive.

BeholderBurger

First Post
Darklone said:
Had a level 1 sorcerer with greataxe and Toughness in one of my games. Loved him. Silly big strong muscled idiot. Very charming though.

The 11 hitpoints at level 1 helped him a lot to survive.

We have a house rule for toughness.

Any damage from a non magical source is reduced by 1.

Will

First Post
Um. Keep in mind that if you took Toughness every 3 levels, it'd be like increasing your hit die by one type.

So if a fighter used all of his natural feats for Toughness and used his class feats for more interesting stuff, he'd become d12 HD (well, d10 +1).

That's not bad, particularly for a late-level fighter who has most of what he wants.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads