• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tower shopping! For the wizard who has everything...

Tewligan

First Post
Build the tower on an island with a lot of nearby difficult-to-navigate underwater reefs, with only the wizard and his minions knowing the layout. When ships need to land to bring supplies or whatever, a minion takes a sailboat out to the ship, blindfolds the captain and navigator, and gives vocal directions for steering the ship safely. Melnibone had a similar system to this, as does Freeport, I think. Periodically, the wizard could go out and rearrange the terrain with earth moving/creating spells just in case knowledge of the layout somehow gets out.

Serienna said:
Retiring!? Who said anything about retiring? She's trying to minimize the collateral damage from all the reprisals! It may seem easy being a famed heroine but not so much when you're persona non grata in almost everywhere thats heard of you due to a reputation of harboring villages getting squished.

Congrats to your DM, my players have hit the point of having themselves expatriated so the eventual assassins won't target their home nation. Of course now they've claimed the ruins of a recently anihilated city and are trying to populate it with a hodge-podge of moderately powerful misfits.

As of yet, there are no demiplanes, yet bags of holding, portable holes, and, dimensional spells still work. Don't ask why. Its magic.

I recommend a mixture of subterfuges. First, attach several permanent Mordenkainen's mansions in your "false front" residence; those should be within your grasp. This lets it be bigger on the inside than outside as well as concealing the real contents of a room. E.g. you walk down a hallway and there are four open doorways, each leading into a MMansion. You, the owner, can have the MMansion's extradimensional door close, revealing the actual room. Or, you know, some horrific trap, monster, or permanently engraved Symbol spell.

Assuming the MMansions are attached to something even vaguely portable, like 100lb door frames, you can rearrange your tower with relative ease. The combination of "bigger on the inside" and "never the same twice" adds to the mystique as well as throwing a spanner into any invaders' plans.

I'd also invest in a "teleport trap" that sends people who aren't marked/wearing a particular piece of jewelry/etc to one place and those who are marked somewhere else (e.g. safety).

/QUOTE]

EvilMountainDew

First Post
Similar to Tewligan's suggestion, you could build it inside somewhere with no doors, and if you're expecting company you can float their ships over the reef and stoneshape a hole for them to come in, close it up behind them and they won't try anything fishy.

I'd cast permanent Daylight inside, though, otherwise it would be sort of dreary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads