• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Toying with Sorcerer: Daggerspell

ryanchaddock

First Post
I was somewhat inspired by the recent Legends & Lore article on class customization. As someone interested in publishing OGL content down the road it's nice to have a little help when it comes to navigating the new rules. So, in the spirit of practice makes perfect, I'm attempting to do a few practice rules modifications now. The following is an attempt at adapting the Daggerspell Mage from 3rd edition into a kind of Origin for Sorcerers. It's not nearly as powerful as the prestige class was (using touch spells comes at 14th rather than 2nd level, for instance), but I'm still concerned that first level is a bit overpacked with features just to make the class option viable in melee.

This is just my first draft, freshly written, but feel free to rip it apart. I'm not going to publish this or anything, just trying to get some practice in doing this sort of development.

Daggerspell Sorcerer
This is an origin for the sorcerer class, chosen at first level. It represents a character studied in melee combat with small blades, unlocking powerful magical effects through their maneuvers. Daggerspell Sorcerers are therefore more capable in close combat than their brethren of other origins.

Dagger Fighter
You’ve trained in a very specific style of fighting, relying on a dagger in each hand. Beginning at 1st level, you may use your Charisma modifier instead of Strength or Dexterity for the attack and damage rolls with your daggers while fighting with a dagger in each hand. Additionally, while holding a dagger in each hand you count as having the Mage Armor spell cast upon you, due to the mystical nature of your fighting movements.

Dagger Caster
Beginning at 1st level, you are able to cast spells with the somatic component, even while holding daggers in your hands. If you hold anything other than a dagger, you must also have a free hand open if you wish to cast somatic spells. Your daggers now count as an arcane focus for your spells, allowing them to substitute for material components so long as you are holding one in each hand.

Whirl of Blades
Starting at 6th level you deal 1d6 additional damage with daggers when attacking with advantage, as per the Sneak Attack feature of the Rogue class. This bonus increases to 2d6 at 14th level, and 3d6 at 18th level. The bonus damage stacks with Sneak Attack damage gained by multiclassing rogue.

Blade Cast
Beginning at 14th level you may deliver touch range spells through your dagger attacks, effectively casting the spell and attacking in a single action. This only works for touch spells with a one action casting time.

Additionally, when attacking with two daggers you may apply your Charisma bonus to the damage of your off hand weapon.

Cyclone of Daggers
Upon reaching 18th level you may spend 5 sorcery points to become a whirlwind of destruction for a brief moment. For one round you may attack every foe within melee reach of your daggers as a single action. You may also cast a single touch range spell as part of this attack, with the spell affecting any enemy you strike. These strikes count as two weapon fighting, and require you to be wielding a dagger in each hand.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads