• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Toypocalypse Falls Kickstarter Project

H

Harrrbinger

Toypocalypse Falls: Toypocalypse Falls is a campaign setting for Toypocalypse the game of Self-Aware toys in a world without Humans. The Falls is a town in what remains of North-West America, after the disappearance of humans and the Great Dawning of the toys, where a hydro-electric dam becomes a power struggle between the toy factions.

photo-full.jpg

For more RPG Kickstarter projects, check out RPG Kickstarters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Revinor

First Post
I've read the title as Toypocalypse Fails Kickstarter Project and thought "finally...".

Originally, I thought that kickstarter is a way for people with business plan, but no money, to get the funding to 'kickstart' their business. But I cannot believe that somebody serious about anything cannot raise $500 of his own money - seems that kickstarter is just an elaborate preorder shop with free advertisment on few portals.

I've read the title as Toypocalypse Fails Kickstarter Project and thought "finally...".

Originally, I thought that kickstarter is a way for people with business plan, but no money, to get the funding to 'kickstart' their business. But I cannot believe that somebody serious about anything cannot raise $500 of his own money - seems that kickstarter is just an elaborate preorder shop with free advertisment on few portals.

So at what point is a business without money allowed to kickstart a project? If it were $1000 would you feel the same way? or 1500? When does the risk of putting up your own funds on a project that may not ever pay back those funds go from an "elaborate preorder shop with free advertisement" to "funding to 'kickstart' their [project]"?

Firstly it's not free, between Kickstarter and Amazon payments they take 8-10%. Secondly Its not about funding business plans its about funding project plans.

Toypocalypse the original game is a Creative Commons RPG, I have given away ten times as many copies as I have sold. To be very honest and transparent Toypocalypse after DTRPG fees has made less than $100. After I paid our editor I have basically made nothing. This is a labor of love and putting more of my personal funds into another creative commons project that will most certainly NOT pay for itself without some help seems like a poor business decision to me.

With kickstarter I have a chance to enter into the project without major risk to personal funds. If it fails I don't have to put up my personal funds and the project dies in obscurity. All I have lost is the many hours I spent writing the campaign setting. No one is requiring you to back my project, but if you think RPG Designers should be putting up all of their personal funds for their projects this industry is going to suffer because of it.

This simply put is market research, I am gauging interest. Kickstarter in gaming is a good thing, bad projects don't get funded, good projects get buzz, people who work day jobs and try to build the gaming world on the side don't have to risk their kids meals.

zWolf

First Post
Having played the original game - I'm already a Fan, and I'm super exited for this campaign setting.

Though every one I have played it with so far, has been >20 years old, I really think that my Nephews would get a kick out of choosing a Toy to play as and adventure with - I can't wait to run some games for them! They are 12 and 11 and are going to love it.

The rules are well explained in the main Toypocalypse book - and I'm exited to have some additional structure to build adventuring sessions around with the Campaign setting.

Well Done Top Rope Games.

zWolf -out.

Kickstarter is coming to a close, 4 days left! We have successfully funded but are still quite a bit shy of our first stretch goal. A self-contained adventure. The Tomb of the Purple Crayon!

In the town of The Falls the information broker, Say-It (a children’s computing device), has been seeking the key to overthrowing the tyrant Centaur Alpha. His faithful minions have secretly scoured the shelves of his library home in search of such a key. At last, the patience of the ancient toy has been rewarded, information has been found on an artifact of immense power. It is known only as The Purple Crayon. The item can create anything its user can imagine.

Say-It can imagine a world without the Centaur. He'll need help. Help from bold toys willing to brave the Tomb of the Purple Crayon!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads