• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Track & Field accident

kenobi65

First Post
World's Worst Jobs:

Olympic Javelin Catcher.

Ow. Though...at least it's just a foot...

When I was in college (University of Wisconsin), a guy on our fencing team got run through with an epee. He was lunging forward for a thrust during practice, when the other guy (who happened to be his brother, IIRC), hit him on the top of the shoulder. The safety guard on the top of the epee popped off, and the blade went straight in....all the way down his back, with the tip of the epee exiting the body at his right butt-cheek.

Amazingly, it was a subcutaneous injury the entire way...it'd basically made a tunnel through his skin. They pulled out the weapon, flushed out the wound, sealed up both ends, and sent him on his way.

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
kenobi65 said:
When I was in college (University of Wisconsin), a guy on our fencing team got run through with an epee. He was lunging forward for a thrust during practice, when the other guy (who happened to be his brother, IIRC), hit him on the top of the shoulder. The safety guard on the top of the epee popped off, and the blade went straight in....all the way down his back, with the tip of the epee exiting the body at his right butt-cheek.

Amazingly, it was a subcutaneous injury the entire way...it'd basically made a tunnel through his skin. They pulled out the weapon, flushed out the wound, sealed up both ends, and sent him on his way.
Holy crap! That's almost better than the OP!

:uhoh: :confused:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Nyaricus said:
Holy crap! That's almost better than the OP!

:uhoh: :confused:

Almost?

Man, why is it that my first thought at the picture was 'ouch' followed almost immediately by 'Man, she's gonna have to buy new shoes now because of that hole the javvy created'?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You know, I've been under the impression for years, somehow, that the reason the Olympic Javelin was redesigned in 1986 was because athletes were throwing it too far, and someone had been hit and killed.

Apparently, it was because athletes were throwing it too far, and someone might get hit and killed.

Somehow, that's a far less-exciting story... (Though one that turns out rather better for the hypothetical spectator.)

-Hyp.

Remove ads