• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

tracking conditions - your approach?

Montkiva

First Post
Does Alea Tools' system work for miniatures that are not Medium size? For example, could I use their product with small (Kobolds, Halflings, etc), large, and huge miniatures?

I think the Playdoh idea sounds pretty good. Maybe a bit messy?

cdrcjsn

First Post
Someone on another thread recommended cheap pipe cleaners ("chenille stems"). You can get them from craft stores and they come in all types of colors. You cut them up in 1" lengths and you can just twist them around the figs on the battlemap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_cleaner

I like the magnetic disks that's been going around as well, but I've had problems when they're too close together and the magnets make placement difficult because of the attraction/repulsion. With the greater number of marks and conditions in 4e than 3e, I expect this to be a bigger problem.

Nytmare

David Jose
I cut down a 1" dowel rod to 1/4" pieces ala the Alea tools. I'm in the process of painting most of them red to denote "bloody" and making a bunch of paired sets, striped with two colors on the edges and heraldic devices on the tops and bottoms for marks.

We track status effects and conditions on sheets at the moment, but I was going to wait till I saw the entire ruleset before I decided on where I wanted the information to ride. As it stands I think that the status effects might be around for too short a time for me to want to track them with additional props on the map. Maybe just a single generic status effect marker to remind people to look at their sheet.

FireLance

Legend
I'm using metallic file rings which I got at a stationery store. They're like circular paper clips and I managed to get them in a variety of colors (gold, silver, red, green, blue). They drape very nicely onto most minis.

Rechan

Adventurer
For conditions, I'm going to use index cards with "Ongoing" "Immobilized" etc.

Those, plus Item Cards, Quest Cards, and cards for powers, it's going to be like playing poker.

Since I'm not going to use minis, just things like dice, counters, or little plastic toys to designate things on a grid, I won't bother with fancy things for minis. But the pipecleaners is a clever idea.

D'karr

Adventurer
I'm using little necklace beads in different colors and also I've printed some small circular markers for each of the conditions that I might need to track.

ZappoHisbane

First Post
I haven't tried this, but reading this thread gave me the idea of adapting wine charms. Normally they're used at social events, wrapping around the stem of a wine glass. Each glass has a unique charm, and thus you know which drink is yours.

These are reasonably easy to make on your own. The hoops are available pretty cheaply, as are various coloured beads and such that you can slip on. You can either have multiple hoops for various conditions, or take a little more time and add/remove beads as necessary.

Here's a product example of the hoops: http://www.jewelrysupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8429

The crafts section of your local Walmart will have craploads of beads to choose from, more than enough to indicate any condition and then some.

Nytmare

David Jose
ZappoHisbane said:
I haven't tried this, but reading this thread gave me the idea of adapting wine charms.
I don't know. I think that fiddling with winecharms might add a little too much futzing time.

bording

Explorer
I'm currently planning on using some small colored rubber bands, a different color for each condition I want to track, and then hanging them on the minis. The rubber bands you can get for holding ponytails seem to be about the right size.

Montkiva said:
Does Alea Tools' system work for miniatures that are not Medium size? For example, could I use their product with small (Kobolds, Halflings, etc), large, and huge miniatures?
Can anyone answer this? Small will be OK, isuppose the bas won't cover the entire disk but what about large or huge?

Remove ads