• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trade agreements between nations

Rpjunkie

First Post
Im wondering what type of trade agreements might be made involving races that usually are at war with one another. Example is derro and regular dwarves. The usually are fighting, but what if they are both around the same strength and they both need things the others had. What type of things could you see these two trading for? I know they would not usually deal in weapons and stuff between them cause of the fear factor, but what type of trade goods might they indulge in on the norm.

Thanks,

RPJ

quick reply

1. nutritive food. foods that are high in a particular nutriant that are only growable in the respective kingdoms.

2. luxury goods. these will always be traded... even between bitter enemies... the amount of profit is too great.

3. knowledge. information concerning other races standings... mind-flayers, aboleths, drow.. etc.

joe b.

fusangite

First Post
One thing to remember here is that even in the D&D world of alignments, races do not act as a unified whole for the most part. Thus, groups within the dwarven and derro races might be on friendly terms on an ongiong basis, doing a brisk transit trade in everything the mainstream of both races can't stand to trade directly.

To add to Joe's suggestions, let me add:
1. Slaves/captives
2. Draft animals
3. Transit trade in goods produced by neither race

Deadguy

First Post
I thought that while we are doing so well on lists of goods traded, perhaps it might be worth expanding on one item: luxury goods. This descriptor covers a multitude of things, so I wonder if we can come up with a good list of possible goods.

To get the ball rolling, ones that come to mind are:

(1) Spices: natural plant extracts have always sold well in RL, because they are consumed drectly in their use. Assuming that the races actually care about their diets (and some won't! :) ), then spices can be in transit from great distances. Of course, traditionally the main use of good spices was to cover the taste of spoilage in foods, and that may be less important in a D&D universe. However, people also get a taste for spices: curries anyone? And in a magical world, spices might have more magical effects too, like heightening attractiveness, or calming the mind.

(2) Fabrics: people generally have to wear clothing of come kind, and they will generally pay over the odds for hard-weaaring or attractive or useful materials. Consider the mediaeval states of Italy. They could produce their own woolen fabrics, but they were prepared to pay for fustians made from English wool and dyed and woven by Flanders merchants. Why? because these looked better and were harder-wearing. Likewise the wealthy drove a trade in cotton, to make their undergarments (linen and wool knickers are so much more uncomfortable! ;) ). And then there was the silk trade, from the East, for the finest garments. Basically, fabrics are a big inductry in their own right. And again, in a magical world there might well be fabrcs woven with special properties, which are made only in certain locations. These will make a very lucrative trade.

(3) Gemstones/precious metals: the need for decoration is driven both by personal vanity and the need to show one's devotion to the deities. The raw materials of this - the gemstones and the precious metals - are traded across long distances. Often they are also used as simple bullion (bulk metals of known purity) in order to pay for other goods. I imagine that the underground races use such materials, including the magical ones like adamantine and mithral, as a primary trade material.

(4) Wood: strange as it may seem, fine woods can be worth a small fortune. The woods traded tend to be decorative or hardwearing materials, or ones with special properties. This might be even more important in a magical setting. Players may not think much of bulk shipments of mahogany or darkwood, but they are a good trade material!

(5) Manufactured Goods: a catch-all term for things like clocks or furniture. Some peoples and races will have exclusive skills in certain craft forms. Maybe the best clocks are made by the gnomes of Vasdjen; they will trade at a premium ovef other people's goods, at least so long as craftsmen aren't lured away (or abducted!) to other markets. Also, we shouldn't disgregard the idea of style. Whilst anyone can build tables and chests, maybe certain elven craftsmen make particularly pleasing styles. I can see no reason why taste and fashion shouldn't apply equally to the demihuman and nonhuman races too.

Okay. That's me done. Anyone else?

Deadguy said:
[B(4) Wood: strange as it may seem, fine woods can be worth a small fortune. The woods traded tend to be decorative or hardwearing materials, or ones with special properties. This might be even more important in a magical setting. Players may not think much of bulk shipments of mahogany or darkwood, but they are a good trade material!
[/B]

To expand on your wood idea..... :) To make 10 kilos of metal you need 150 cubic feet of charcoal. When your deep underground you'll find wood to be very valuable. You can use coal, but coal is very very nasty on the environment and when you have a basically closed system that's rather important.

magic could perhaps help with this, as well as perhaps substituting giant mushroom stalks, but it could be a material that the dwarves would provide to their deeper dwelling neighbors. another idea that might be usefull... :)

just me .002$

joe b.

Luxury foods: not just spices, but wine and herbal infusions such as coffee, tea, and chocolate.

Dyestuffs: there are reasons in RL Europe red and purple were associated with royalty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads