Trader PrC modification

Velmont

First Post
Following the short discussion here, I am making an official submission:

Here the actual class ability:

Trader said:
Connected: A Trader who makes the right connections can always find a solution to his problems. Choose 4+(Trader's Charisma modifier) skills from the Trader's class skills list. Once per week the Trader can take 20 on one of these skills, by using a network of contacts. After seven days, the check is resolved by the Trader's associates.
Example A: For instance, a knowledge (arcana) check could be replaced with a Connected (Knowledge: Arcana) check taking one week in place of a normal skill check.
Example B: A trader that wanted to thoroughly intimidate someone, but didn't want to be associated to the matter, could make a Connected (Intimidate) check and one week in order to resolve the problem.

Connected class ability of the Trader PrC seems unusable because of the long time the eprosn must wait. Also, it doesn't do exactly what I wanted at first. Using some SRD content from d20modern, I am making this porposal, with a few changes to adapt to the rules of LEW and d20 instead of d20modern:

Connected
The Trader has the ability to acquire minor aid from anyone he or she meets. By making a favor check, a Trader can gain important information without going through the time and trouble of doing a lot of research. Favors can also be used to acquire the loan of equipment or documents, or to receive other minor assistance in the course of an adventure.

A Trader spends some Craft Point (10 times the DC) to activate this talent. To make a favor check, roll a d20 and add the Charisma bonus. The GM sets the DC based on the scope of the favor being requested. The DC ranges from 10 for a simple favor to as high as 30 for formidable and highly dangerous, expensive, or illegal favors. A Trader can't take 10 or 20 on this check, nor can he retry the check for the same (or virtually the same) favor. Favors should help advance the plot of an adventure. A favor that would enable a character to avoid an adventure altogether should always be unavailable to the character, regardless of the result of a favor check.

The GM should carefully monitor a Trader's use of favors to ensure that this ability isn't abused. The success or failure of a mission shouldn't hinge on the use of a favor, and getting a favor shouldn't replace good roleplaying or the use of other skills. The GM may disallow any favor deemed to be disruptive to the game.

Upon gaining this class ability, the Trader gain an extra 500 craft points.

As LEW doesn't have action points, I decided to make the Trader spend some Craft Points. As the item creation feats, I gave him a bonus of 500 craft piont upon gaining this ability.

The rolls should be a character's favor bonus, equal to the character's Charismatic level. But as the Charismatic hero can have this power as soon as level 3 and up to level 10, it allow a modifier of +3 to +10. For a Trader, he gain this power at level 5, so it is always +5... I thought a Charismatic roll woul be more appropriate, and I doubt that any trader would have an easy time to have +10 and over Charisma bonus, so I think it is a good substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erekose13

Explorer
I like pulling ideas from other sources, especially the SRD and this one fits well with the Trader. I agree that the old ability is difficult to use because of the time factor and a little awkward in the implementation. For the new ability it is a little broad and requires a lot of DM adjudication. I'd probably want to include something that would allow DMs who are uncomfortable with it to not allow favors. I'm also iffy on craft points as this ability will likely be used in an adventure when craft points are not applicable.

Velmont

First Post
I see craft point as time pass between adventures to produce items. That's what happening presently. For the trader, he is using that time to meet people and create connection and gain some influence. Once in adventure, he suddenly need to gain access to a boat. Instead of loosing time to find someone in the port to carry them to some place, the trader just take back the Favor another merchant owed him and get a place into a boat, gaining time and maybe having access to a boat who can be more trusted.

And to allow DM not confortable not to use the Connected ability, you always have that already written in the description:
The GM may disallow any favor deemed to be disruptive to the game.

Remove ads