• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Training monsters

ChefOrc

First Post
A player of mine managed to buy an adult pseudonatural hippogriff (Complete Arcane template, gives int 3 to the base creature). He would like to domesticate and train it to use it as a flying mount.

Are there rules about training adult (not trained from infancy) wild monsters that have an intelligence score higher than 2 (the max allowed with the handle animal skill)? And what does the intelligence score limitation for the handle animal imply? Is it that creatures with 3 or more don't need to be trained, but can rather be convinced to serve through language?

Given that I want to allow the training of the adult outsider hippogriff, what do you think it would costs my player to do this (money, time) and what type of checks should be made to know if it worked? Are there spells or items that he could use to help in that task?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
MM2 has the Warbeast template, which can be used to make a creature into a riding creature.

Remove ads